The Massachusetts Ocean Management Initiative
To examine evolving ocean uses and develop a comprehensive approach to managing ocean resources, the Massachusetts Ocean Management Task Force was launched in 2003 and charged with developing recommendations, which were released in the 2004 Waves of Change report. This effort developed the foundation for ongoing mapping and planning activities and the Oceans Act of 2008, which was signed by Governor Deval Patrick on May 28, 2008. The Act required Massachusetts to develop a comprehensive plan to manage development in state waters. The Massachusetts Ocean Management Plan was released on December 31, 2009. See the EEA Massachusetts Ocean Plan website for details.
See the following links for more information:
- Massachusetts Ocean Management Plan - This document presents the final Massachusetts Ocean Management Plan for promulgation.
- EEA Ocean Plan Website - Information on the Massachusetts Ocean Management Plan development process.
- Massachusetts Ocean Planning Portal - Videos and transcripts of the 18 Public Listening Sessions held, an online commenting feature, and a public comment log.
- Massachusetts Oceans Act of 2008 - Information on this first legislation of its kind in the nation was signed into law on May 28, 2008.
- Nearshore Ocean Management Planning Area Boundary (PDF, 1.2 MB) - This map shows the nearshore boundary created for the Ocean Management Planning Area pursuant to "Oceans Act of 2008" for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. It is also available as a GIS shape file (ZIP, 114 KB).
- Massachusetts Ocean Management Task Force - General information about the Task Force and its members, links to Task Force accomplishments including the Waves of Change report, and presentations and meeting information.
- Task Force Reports and Recommendations - Links to the Waves of Change report, which includes the Task Force's 16 ocean management recommendations (PDF, 100 KB), and links to the Massachusetts Ocean Management Task Force Technical Report.
- Ocean Management Initiative Projects - Links to information, reports, and publications from projects conducted by and for the Ocean Management Initiative.
- Massachusetts Ocean Education Guide - A directory of Massachusetts ocean education resources, including field trips, speakers, curricula, publications, parent/child interactive programs, after school programs, workshops, film/video, newsletter/periodicals, library/resource centers, volunteer opportunities, and other programs designed to assist K-12 educators in teaching about the Commonwealth's ocean resources.
- Links to Additional Information on Ocean Management - Links to information on ocean management in Massachusetts and the Gulf of Maine, throughout the United States, and around the world, as well as information on Marine Protected Areas (MPAs).
- Background - Information on the development of the Massachusetts Ocean Management Initiative.