Board of Health
As a member of your community’s Board of Health, you are responsible for protecting public health. Sewage disposal (Title 5) and the supply and quality of drinking water are the two health regulations governing most new development. Your board may also regulate sewer connections.
Your board can help protect public health in your community by helping prevent development in the floodplain that could threaten public health or safety.
Following are some of the ways that you can help make your community safer:
Hazard Identification and Mapping
- Interpreting Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) and Flood Insurance Studies
- Understanding the limitations of Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) and Flood Insurance Studies
- Sharing emergency information
- Creating a multi-hazard mitigation plan
- Creating risk mitigation strategies
- Creating a multi-objective management plan
Regulation and Development Standards
- Keeping public infrastructure outside of damage-prone areas
- Using freeboard to elevate structures above predicted floodwaters