CCC Events and Programs
2008 marked the 75th anniversary of the creation of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). The CCC served as a catalyst to develop the very tenants of modern conservation. During its nine year existence (1933-42) the CCC dramatically enhanced America’s natural resource treasures, and also resulted in the core infrastructure of the Massachusetts State Park system.
To raise awareness and educate the public about the stewardship legacy DCR offers interpretive programming to tell story of the CCC and opportunities to get involved. Below are some past and current offerings.
Throughout 2008 DCR celebrated the CCC 75th anniversary with special events and interpretive programs:
- CCC historic site ranger-guided tours at Blue Hills Reservation, Breakheart Reservation, Erving State Forest.
- CCC Day at the Massachusetts State House, Boston, annually recognized on March 31 - the anniversary of the signing of the 1933 Emergency Conservation Work Act creating the CCC.
- Myles Standish State Forest CCC Day, exhibits, family activities, construction of Civilian Conservation Corps Amphitheater. Co-sponsored with Friends of Myles Standish State Forest.
- Wendell State Forest Great Park Pursuit CCC Day event with living history experience, fire control demonstrations, volunteer trail work project, children’s activities, and Jitterbug dancing.
- New England Association of Fire Chiefs-Fire Expo at Big E, West Springfield, CCC display and outdoor exhibit.
- Eastern States Exposition (Big E), West Springfield, CCC display, outdoor exhibit and living history program, CCC alumni meet and greet and CCC parade truck.
- Upton State Forest CCC Day celebration, exhibits, family activities, letterboxing, flagpole dedication and ribbon cutting of road re-named to CCC Way. Co-sponsored with Friends of Upton State Forest.
- National Public Lands Day volunteer service projects at F.G. Hills State Forest and Pittsfield State Forest.
DCR also accepts requests for interpretive programming relative to the legacy of the CCC. Programs can be tailored to either state park or other setting. For more information contact Alec Gillman, DCR CCC Program Committee Coordinator at 413-499-4262.
- Family-oriented CCC and programs: offered at select parks both seasonally and year-round.
- Living history programs: life and times of the CCC, a look into the Depression era and the New Deal conservation program.
- CCC Truck: a 1939 International D-15 rack truck, available by arrangement for parades, display and interpretation of the CCC at events.
- CCC history slide show and presentation.
- School program: for elementary students at Upton State Forest, site of former CCC Camp SP-25, 2105 Company.
- National Public Lands Day is a nation-wide opportunity every September, to engage in the spirit of the CCC by getting your hands dirty for America’s public lands.
- National Trails Day is the American Hiking Society's signature trail awareness program every June to inspire the public to recreate and volunteer.
Visit the DCR Events webpage for additional programs & events, or Get Involved for stewardship opportunities.
Continue to next page,
History of the CCC in Massachusetts
Children experience forest
fire control with a portable
pump at Great Park Pursuit
Building the CCC Amphitheater
Myles Standish State Forest
Join DCR park staff for
Connect with the CCC legacy