Rte. 20, Chester
P.O. Box 105 Chester, MA 01011
(413) 354-6347 (summer)
(413) 269-6002 (winter)
Chester-Blandford SF is close for the 2012 season
Chester-Blandford State Forest offers a rustic park experience and spectacular Sanderson Brook Falls. Explore trails and places with names like Mica Mine Road and Gold Mine Brook that recall the days when the hills of Chester were pitted with small mines producing mica, emery and corundum. Boulder Park features an easy-graded Universal Access interpretive trail and pavilion amidst shady Eastern Hemlocks.
Hike up an easy grade for 1 mile to see the 60 foot cascade at Sanderson Brook Falls; or try the H. Newman Marsh Memorial Trail featuring a challenging, but rewarding, climb to the top of Observation Hill, with views spanning up and down the wild and scenic Westfield River valley. Take some time to explore along the historic Jacob's Ladder Scenic Byway (US Rte. 20) as it climbs up and over the Berkshire Hills.
Download printable version (pdf)
Things to know before you go...
- The forest is open sunrise to sunset year-round. Access is free.
- Recreational Vehicles: Limited number of sites available for RVs up to 35 ft. in length. No hook-ups or trailer waste station are available.
- Be prepared: Services are limited at the Boulder Park day-use area. Carry-in, carry-out all your belongings and trash.
- Be bear aware: Don't forget you are in Black Bear country. Never physically confront, feed, torment or throw anything at bears. Take appropriate precautions with food so as not to attract bears.
- Pets are permitted. Must be on a 10-foot maximum leash and attended at all times. Must have proof of current Rabies vaccine. Please be courteous and clean up after your pet.
- Prohibited: Motorized off-road vehicles and alcoholic beverages. Swimming is not permitted at Sanderson Brook Falls; dangerous conditions exist.
Chester-Blandford State Forest is located in the eastern Berkshire Hills of western Massachusetts.
From East, North or South/MassPike (I-90): Take Exit 3 in Westfield. Bear right after tolls and follow Rtes. 10/202 south for 3 miles into downtown Westfield. Turn right and follow US Rte. 20 west; Boulder Parks is 14 miles, the park headquarters is 14.5 miles, campground is 15.1 miles and Sanderson Brook Falls 16 miles.
From West/MassPike (I-90): Take Exit 2 in Lee and turn left onto US Rte. 20 east. Continue for 18.6 miles to Sanderson Brook Falls, 19.5 miles to campground, 20.1 miles to park headquarters and 20.6 miles to Boulder Park.