The Data Editing Extension for ArcView GIS
The data editing extension is an add-on software extension that enables users to manage polygon and line data sets using ESRI's ArcView GIS software. Out-of-the-box
ArcView 3.x does not have adequate editing tools for maintaining polygon datasets; advanced software like ArcInfo is required for many editing tasks.
This extension provides graphical tools that enable users to perform advanced editing without the high costs of a full GIS software package like
ArcInfo; in fact, the extension is free.
Key Features of the Data Editing Extension
- Edit polygon data as lines and "build" the lines back into polygons
- Enter parcel boundary lines using survey metes-and-bounds (like COGO), including tangent and non-tangent curves
- Use advanced editing functions such as Split, Move, Snap, Rotate, and Extend (similar to ArcEdit commands)
- Bring in lines from background themes and use them in your edit coverage
- Identify the exact location of line intersections and fix them
- View the theme you are editing with "pseudonode" and "dangle" node markers, and color selected lines yellow, without selection handles
Some functions of the extension are not available in ArcEdit and may be useful to ArcInfo users who don't have COGO; want GUI-based editing;
need to perform GIS editing in the field with ArcView; and run a large GIS with ArcView users that need to maintain polygon or line data.
The extension was produced cooperatively by The Norcross Wildlife Foundation and the DCR.