Vernal Pool & Rare Species (VPRS) Reporting System Frequently Asked
What is the VPRS Observer Information & Certification form used for?
The Observer Information and Certification is used to establish an electronic signature associated with your VPRS account. As with the paper forms, the NHESP cannot accept records for entry into their database without a signature. By completing this Certification form once and mailing it to the NHESP, all observation reports you submit within the VPRS system will be reviewable for acceptance into the NHESP database.
NOTE: Once your account is created you can immediately begin submitting observations. The signature form is needed, however, for the NHESP to review those observations.
Can I submit a record someone else observed?
As with the paper forms, the NHESP does not accept observations that
are submitted on behalf of another party unless you were present at
the time of the observation. The Observer Information and Certification
form signed and submitted as part of your registration applies to all
observations submitted through your account. When submitting a record
in VPRS you are certifying under pains and penalties of perjury that
the information is true and complete, including observer information.
Each account can only be tied to one user and that user is listed as
the observer for all reports created under that account.
How do I retrieve my password?
- Click here
- Click the "Recover Password" link
- Enter your User ID and click the "Continue with Recover" button
- Answer your security question and click the "Answer" button
- A new temporary password will be sent to the email address associated
with your VPRS account.
How do I update my account information?
- Click here and enter your VPRS User ID and Password
- Click the "User Profile Update" link
- Update your profile as necessary
- To save changes either click "Update" and close your browser
or click "Proceed to Login"
How do I print a copy of my submittal?
At any point during your report creation or after submittal, you can generate an HTML version of your VPRS report. To do so, open the desired report then click the "Print Report" button in the top left corner, as shown below.
Are paper observation forms still being accepted?
Yes, paper forms will continue to be accepted for review by the NHESP, although we strongly encourage people to submit their observations through the VPRS system.
Can I create more than one report at a time?
Yes. Using the Bulk Upload feature, you can import data which has been entered into a preformatted spreadsheet and generate multiple reports at once. Only one type of report (Plant, Animal, or Vernal Pool) can be imported at a time. The Bulk Upload feature is one of the more complex functions of the system and therefore several help guides are available both within the system itself (on the appropriate form home page) and on our website.
What if I saw several different species in one area, do I have to fill in a form for each species?
Yes, however there is a Copy Report feature available to users who observe multiple Plant or Animal species at the same location. This feature can be found on the bottom right the Plant and Animal home pages within the system. Attachments from your copied report will not carry into the new form, however much of the site information, including your mapped location, directions, and habitat description, are brought into your new observation report and can be edited as necessary. This feature only allows users to copy one form at a time and only to create an animal from an animal form and a plant from a plant form.
Where can I find additional information on how to use the VPRS System?
There are help documents located on each tab within the VPRS system which can be accessed by clicking the question mark icon.
Additionally, there are tutorials available on our website to walk you through each part of the system.
Can I use VPRS on a Mac?
While the system was built for a Windows environment you can use a Mac, however, we recommend using the Safari Internet browser.
Are there any specific System Requirements needed to use VPRS?
- Minimum screen resolution 1024x768 (higher strongly recommended)
- Adobe Flash Player 10 or 11
For the Mobile App:
- 10" screen, if using a Tablet
- Minimum 3G level of connectivity (direct, live connection)
- Camera support (optional)
- At least Android "Honeycomb"
Tips and Tricks
- Add the VPRS Reporting System email address (email@example.com) to your accepted contacts list in your email. This way you will be sure to receive all notifications sent from within the VPRS system.
- If you have the appropriate screen resolution and are still experiencing issues viewing the VPRS system on your computer try hitting the F11 key on your keyboard when in the VPRS web page. This should expand the page to a full-screen view. To exit this view and return to normal simply hit F11 again.