State Mammal List Bibliography
The following bibliography contains all the regional and state and most local mammalian faunal lists pertaining to Massachusetts known to us. It does not contain listings referable to only a single species or to a few species. It also does not contain references dealing only with archaeological records. Some of the references listed contain errors and it would be wise to check the original sources, wherever possible. All publications listed have been seen by us. The historical references cited are not, strictly speaking, faunal lists but they contain much data on the larger mammals of the Colonial period not elsewhere available. Faunal references for the approximate period 1675-1850 are scanty, but some information may be derived from town and county histories and other early records.
- Josselyn, J. 1672. New-England's rarities discovered. G. Widdowes, London, 114pp. [Reprinted by Wm. Veazie, Boston, 1865]
- Josselyn, J. 1674. An account of two voyages to New England. G. Widdowes, London, 279pp. [Reprinted by Wm. Veazie, Boston, 1865]
- Morton, T. 1637. New English Canaan or New Canaan. J.F. Stam, Amsterdam, 188pp. [Microfilmed by University Microfilms, Ann Arbor, Mich., on reel 967 of the series "English Books, 1475-1640". Also reprinted in several editions]
- Wood, W. 1634. New England's prospect. Tho. Cotes for J. Bellamie, London, 98pp. [Microfilmed by University Microfilms, Ann Arbor, Mich., on reel 1162 of the series "English Books, 1475-1640". Also reprinted in several editions]
- Allen, G.M. 1904. Fauna of New England. 3. List of the mammalia. Occasional Papers of the Boston Society of Natural History 7:1-35.
- Black, A.A. 1891. The land mammals of New England. A thesis for an advanced degree. Burleigh and Flynt, Printers to the state, Augusta, Me., 48pp.
- DeGraaf, R.M., G.W. Witman, and D.D. Rudis. 1981. Forest habitat for mammals of the Northeast. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, n.p., 182pp.
- Godin, A.J. 1977. Wild mammals of New England. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, 304pp.
- Godin, A.J. 1981. Wild mammals of New England: field guide edition. DeLorme Publ. Co., Yarmouth, Me., 207pp.
- Goodwin, G.G. 1936. Big game animals in the northeastern United States. Journal of Mammalogy 17:48-50.
- Grayce, R.C. 1957. Checklist of New England mammals. Bulletin of the Massachusetts Audubon Society 41(1):15-24, 26.
- Hamilton, W.J., Jr. 1943. The mammals of eastern United States. Comstock Publishing Co., Ithaca, N.Y., 432pp.
- Hamilton, W.J., Jr. and J.O. Whitaker, Jr. 1979. Mammals of the eastern United States (2nd ed.) Comstock Publishing Associates, Ithaca, N.Y., 346pp.
- Harper, F. 1929. New England's land mammals. Nature Magazine 13(5):311-314, 345.
- Jordan, D.S. 1929. Manual of the vertebrate animals of the northeastern United States, inclusive of marine species. World Book Co., Yonkers-on-the Hudson, N.Y., 446pp.
- Katona, S.K., V. Rough, and D.T. Richardson. 1993. A field guide to whales, porpoises, and seals from Cape Cod to Newfoundland (4th ed.) Smithsonian Press, Washington, D.C., 316pp.
- Leatherwood, S., D.K. Caldwell, and H.E. Winn. 1976. Whales, dolphins, and porpoises of the western North Atlantic: a guide to their identification. National Oceanographic & Atmospheric Administration Technical Report N.M.F.S. Circular 396, 176pp.
- Miller, G.S., Jr. 1900. Key to the land mammals of northeastern North America. Bulletin of the New York State Museum 38(8):60-160
- True, F.W. 1904. The whalebone whales of the western North Atlantic. Smithsonian Contributions to Knowledge 33:1-322. [Reprinted, 1983, Smithsonian Institution Press]
- Waters, J.H. and C.J. Rivard. 1962. Terrestrial and marine mammals of Massachusetts and other New England states. Published by the senior author, Standard-Modern Printing Co., Brockton, Mass., 151pp.
- Whitaker, J.O., Jr. and W.J. Hamilton, Jr. 1998. Mammals of the eastern United States (3rd ed.) Comstock Publishing Associates, Ithaca, N.Y., 583pp.
- Allen, J.A. 1869. Catalogue of the mammals of Massachusetts; with a critical review of the species (Cetacea). Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology 1:143-252.
- Emmons, E. 1840. A report on the quadrupeds of Massachusetts. in Reports on the herbaceous plants and on the quadrupeds of Massachusetts. Folsom, Wells, and Thurston, Cambridge, Mass., 277+86pp.
- Hitchcock, E. 1835. Catalogues of animals and plants. Pages 525-652 in A report on the geology, mineralogy, botany, and zoology of Massachusetts. J.S. & C. Adams, Amherst, Mass., 702pp.
- Roth, C. 1978. An introduction to Massachusetts mammals. Massachusetts Audubon Society, Lincoln, 50pp.
- Samuels, E.A. 1862. State cabinet. Pages 137-195 in Ninth Annual Report of the Secretary of the Massachusetts State Board of Agriculture, W. White, State Printer, Boston, 303pp.
- Andrews, J.C. and M.B. Epstein. 1980. Mammals of Nantucket county. Maria Mitchell Association, Nantucket pp.
- Bowditch, A.J. 1965. Terrestrial mammals of Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts, with special reference to Peromyscus. Smith College, Northampton, Mass., 64pp.
- Brown, C.E. 1913. A pocket list of the mammals of eastern Massachusetts, with especial reference to Essex county. Peabody Academy of Science, Salem, Mass., 53pp.
- Crane, J. 1931. Mammals of Hampshire county, Massachusetts. Journal of Mammalogy 12:267-273.
- Jones, G.S. and K. Driscoll. 1979. Inventory of the mammals of Martha's Vineyard. Felix Neck Naturalist (1979):15-30.
- Keith, A.R. 1969. The mammals of Martha's Vineyard. Dukes County Intelligencer 11(2):47-98.
- Parker, H.C. 1938. The mammalian geography of Worcester county, Massachusetts. M.S. thesis, Clark University, Worcester, Mass., 77pp.
- Parker, H.C. 1939. A preliminary list of the mammals of Worcester county, Massachusetts. Proceedings of the Boston Society of Natural History 41:403-415.
- Thompson, E.H. 1884. Worcester county mammals. Worcester Daily Spy, 6 May, page 6. [As of 1980, this newspaper had not been microfilmed and the bound set, very fragile, in the Worcester Public Library may be the only source for this reference]
- Warfel, H.E. 1937. Notes on some mammals of western Massachusetts. Journal of Mammalogy 18:82-85.
- Wetherbee, D.K. 1945. The birds and mammals of Worcester county, Massachusetts. Century Press, Worcester, 192pp.
- Zube, E.H. and C.A. Carlozzi, eds. 1966. Selected resources of the Island of Nantucket. An inventory and interpretation. University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Cooperative Extension Service, Publication No. 4, 135pp.
- Anderson, K.S. n.d. Mammals. In Hockomock, wonder wetland. Massachusetts Audubon Society, Lincoln, Mass., pp.
- Caron, L.M. 1958. A study of the small mammal populations of three communities in the Amherst, Mass., region. M.A. thesis, University of Massachusetts, 74pp.
- Chase, H.B., Jr. 1972. Mammals of the Great Woods. Page 26 in The Great Woods. Massachusetts Audubon Society, Lincoln, Mass., 31pp.
- Copeland, M. 1912. Notes on the mammals of Mt. Greylock, Massachusetts. Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington 25:157-162.
- Hatt, R.T. 1930. Annotated list of the mammals. Pages 636-645 in The relations of mammals to the Harvard Forest. Roosevelt Wildlife Bulletin 5(4):625-671.
- Holt, D.W., R.C. Humphrey, and J.P. Lortie. 1987. The mammals of Monomoy National Wildlife Refuge. Cape Naturalist 15:63-69.
- Lawrence, B. and C.P. Lyman. 1974. List of mammals of eastern Massachusetts. Harvard University, Museum of Comparative Zoology, Concord Field Station, Guide to Resources No. 7, 23pp.
- McDaniel, M.D. 1964. A small mammal survey on parts of Cadwell Memorial Forest in Pelham, Massachusetts. M.S. thesis, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 79pp.
- Stone, C.E. 1937. Fifty years with the birds of Lunenburg, Mass. Annotated list. Mimeographed. 53pp. On file at Ritter Memorial Library, Lunenburg, Mass. [Despite the title, pages 47-53 are a list of the mammals of the area]
- Sumner, F.B., R.C. Osburn, and L.J. Cole. 1911 . A biological survey of the waters of Woods Hole and vicinity. Section III. A catalogue of the marine fauna of Woods Hole and vicinity. Bulletin of the U.S. Bureau of Fisheries 31(2):547-860. [Mammalia, pages 780-782]
Last Updated: February 23, 2009