A host of wildlife related publications are listed. If you don't find what you need below, go back to the More Publications link.
Unless otherwise noted, all publications are free for pick up at MassWildlife offices. Some publications are also available online, a few are ONLY available online. ($) = sale item only
To order any of the publications below, stop by our Westborough Field Headquarters or District Offices with a check or cash OR mail a check with your request to the Westborough Field Headquarters. Sorry but we can only handle cash or checks, but no credit cards.
- "Critters of Massachusetts" -- "Critters" is a perfect gift for the curious youngster or the beginning adult naturalist with an interest in backyard wildlife and beyond. ($5)
- Snake Guide - Available online through a link to UMass Extension or as a hard copy for sale.($2)
- A Field Guide to Animals of Vernal Pools -- This 8" X 5 1/2" full color field guide provides an excellent reference to the specialized creatures that depend upon vernal pools. ($12)--[Order through the Natural Heritage Program.]
- A Field Guide to the Dragonflies and Damselflies of Massachusetts -- 196 pages of color photographs of adult males and females, illustrations of diagnostic characters as well as range, flight period, habitat, and behavior notes. ($20) [Order through the Natural Heritage Program.]
- "Wildlife Viewing Guide" ($5) Viewing Sites listed here.
- Homeowners Guide to Bats
- Massachusetts Bird Checklist -- Available online and as a small booklet
- Beaver Publications - A link to various publications available on beaver.
- Thoughts on Deer Population Management (Mass. Wildlife Magazine article reprint)
- Rabies (Mass. Wildlife Magazine article reprint)
- An Evaluation of Deer Management Options ($1.50)
- Traps, Trapping & Furbearer Management in North America
- The Black Bear In Mass. History of Black Bear from colonial times
to the 1970's. ($3.00)
- "Living with Wildlife" Series - Fact sheets about wildlife that generates the most inquiries by homeowners and community officials.
- Endangered Species Fact Sheets - Fact sheets on the wildlife listed on the Massachusetts Endangered Species Act list.
- Animal Track Guide - A small pocket-sized card showing tracks of various wildlife living in Massachusetts. Available online to print out on paper or pick up at MassWildlife offices.
- Furbearer Guide - A laminated, fold out document that provides basic information on Massachusetts' 14 types of furbearing animals.
- Species Lists - These lists of various classes of wildlife are only available online, not as a published document. They are lists that indicate population status and distribution in the state.
- Why Moving Wildlife is Harmful -- A flyer for use by but not limited to municipal officials, wildlife rehabilitators , educators and Problem Animal Control Agents to explain to others about this issue.
- Housing Projects for Wood Ducks (includes wood duck box plans)
- Housing for Bluebirds -- Available from our Westborough
- Vernal Pool Life: A Race Against Dryness - This beautiful color poster was created using twenty-six photographs to depict the many animal species which depends on vernal pools.
- Co-Existing with Black Bears - 11 x 17 poster with tips on ways to avoid conflicts with bears.
- Living With Eastern Coyotes - 11 x 17 poster with tips on ways to avoid conflicts with coyotes.