Under the provisions of M.G.L. Ch 30A and pursuant to the authority found in M.G.L. Ch. 130 ss. 17, 17A, 44B, 80 and 104, Division of Marine Fisheries (DMF) and the Marine Fisheries Advisory Commission (MFAC) have scheduled hearings on the following proposed regulations:
- Accept comments on DMF proposals to comply with Addendum XI to the Interstate Fishery Management Plan for American lobster (322 CMR 6.01 & 6.02) and to make lobster regulations more consistent where possible, including:
- 5 ¼” maximum size for lobsters harvested by commercial and non-commercial fishermen in LCMA 2;
- the following schedule of maximum size for lobsters harvested by commercial and non-commercial fishermen in LCMA 3 and the Outer Cape Cod LCMA:
- 7” from June 30, 2008 through June 30, 2009 ;
- 6 7/8” from July 1, 2008 through June 30, 2010 ; and
- 6 3/4" from July 1, 2010 and beyond; and
- amended v-notch definition for dealers & commercial and non-commercial fishermen fishing in LCMA 3 and the Outer Cape Cod LCMA, which would complement current LCMA 2 v-notched lobster definition: “any female lobster that bears a notch or indentation in the base of the flipper that is at least as deep as 1/8”, with or without setal hairs”.
- Accept comments on DMF proposal to comply with ASMFC-approved six-weakfish recreational creel limit; a decrease from current ten-weakfish creel limit (322 CMR 8.06).
- Accept comments on DMF proposal to complement federal trip limits for mobile gear targeting Loligo squid (322 CMR 6.39).
- Accept comments on DMF proposal to:
- prohibit finning of smooth dogfish; and
- implement a 100-lb. smooth dogfish daily landing and possession limit (322 CMR 6.41).
- Accept comments on DMF emergency action to limit the landing and possession of lobsters caught by gillnets in the Outer Cape Cod Lobster Conservation Management Area (OCC LCMA) to an amount of lobsters that fit into two 3.9 cubic foot “lobster crates” not to exceed 100 lobsters (322 CMR 4.06 & 6.26).
Two public hearings have been scheduled for:
Monday, August 27, 2007 (7PM) at the AnnisquamRiver Marine Fisheries Station
(30 Emerson Ave., Gloucester) &
Tuesday, August 28, 2007 ( 7PM ) at the Radisson – Plymouth Harbor ( 180 Water St. , Plymouth )
Comments received by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax (617.626.1509), or
mail (251 Causeway St., Suite 400; Boston, MA 02114)
will be accepted until 5PM on Wednesday, August 29, 2007.
Contact DMF for regulations and further details or visit our website at www.mass.gov/marinefisheries.