Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Division of Marine Fisheries
251 Causeway Street, Suite 400
Boston, MA 02114
Fax (617) 626.1509
August 21, 2008
STATE SPINY DOGFISH FISHERY REMAINS OPEN AFTER
FEDERAL PERIOD 1 FISHERY CLOSES
Commercial spiny dogfish quota remains available for harvest by state-only permitted fishermen landing in Massachusetts . Federal permit holders, however, are prohibited from landing, possessing, transferring or fishing for spiny dogfish as of August 20, 2008.
The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission’s Spiny Dogfish Management Board approved an 8-million lb. quota for spiny dogfish for the 2008/2009 fishing year that assigned 58% of the overall spiny dogfish quota to “northern” states (CT through ME) with the remaining 42% assigned to states from NY south. Approximately 28% of the overall quota has been harvested to date.
NOAA Fisheries approved a 4-million lb. federal quota split between Period I (May – October) and Period II (November – April). NOAA Fisheries has notified permit holders that the Period I fishery has closed as of August 20th. The Period II federal fishery is scheduled to re-open on November 1st.
For further information please visit our website at www.mass.gov/marinefisheries.