Can I appeal penalties?

Yes. Pre-assessment conferences for penalties will only be held if the Audit Division specifically refers the case to the Office of Appeals. For post-assessment requests, you must file an Application for Abatement/Amended Return, and when settlement is requested, also Form DR-1: pdf format of Form DR-1
Office of Appeals Form.

Generally, penalties imposed for the late filing of a return (G.L. c. 62C, § 33(a)) or the late payment of tax (G.L. c. 62C, § 33(b)) may be waived or abated, in whole or in part, if you can demonstrate that the failure to timely file your return or to pay your tax was due to reasonable cause and not willful neglect. However, different standards may apply for other types of penalties, such as (1) penalties imposed under G.L. c. 62C, § 35A, for the substantial understatement of tax or (2) penalties imposed under G.L. c. 62C, § 35D, for taking an inconsistent filing position in reporting your income subject to tax. For more information on penalties, please see Administrative Procedure 633: Guidelines for the Waiver and Abatement of Penalties and Directive 12-7: Section 35A Penalty for Underpayment of Tax Required to be Shown on Return.

How can I stop interest from accruing?

Interest will accrue on any outstanding unpaid balance of tax and penalties. The only way to stop interest from accruing is to pay the tax and penalties. If you are successful in your appeal and entitled to a refund, the Commonwealth will pay interest on any amounts refunded.

Can interest be waived or abated?

No. The Department of Revenue does not have the legal authority to abate or waive interest alone. If a tax or penalty amount is reduced, interest will be adjusted accordingly.