Since 1996, when Congress for the first time specifically authorized federal-level agreements regarding child support enforcement with other countries, the United States has entered into a number of reciprocal agreements. In addition, Massachusetts has entered into its own agreements with several countries, as well. Having a reciprocal agreement with another country means that if the other parent resides in a foreign country, then that country will assist us with child support matters such as establishing paternity or establishing and enforcing a support order. Currently, the federal government and Massachusetts have reciprocal arrangements in force with the following countries, as detailed below.