Massachusetts joined the FreeFile Alliance to increase free tax filing options for the Commonwealth’s taxpayers. Please read the offers carefully.
To file your federal and state returns for free, it’s important that you use the links designated below.
Please note that the Massachusetts Department of Revenue does not endorse or recommend any particular tax preparation software.
Free federal and MA tax preparation & e-file for all who live in MA with an Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) of $32,000 or less. This offer is limited to three (3) free tax returns per computer.
Our Free File URL: http://www.1040now.net/freefilema.htm
FreeTaxUSA® Free File Edition offers free federal and Massachusetts online income tax preparation and e-file if:
- Your federal adjusted gross income was $51,000 or less, and
- You were 17-60 years old as of December 31, 2016.
- You were active duty military with federal adjusted gross income of $64,000 or less.
Your federal adjusted gross income for 2016 was $64,000 or less and you can answer yes to one of these questions:
- You are eligible for the federal earned income credit
- In 2016, you were active duty military
- You are between the ages of 17-50 (as of 12/31/2016)
Online taxes at OLT.com
Online Taxes at OLT.com would like to offer free federal and free state online tax preparation and e-filing if your Federal Adjusted Gross Income is between $13,000 and $64,000 regardless of age.
Note: The OLT Free File website must be accessed through the link above. Any other link used to access the OLT website may result in fees or charges.
TaxAct Free File: Free federal and state returns if:
- You are age 56 or younger with an adjusted gross income of $52,000 or less; or
- You are eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit; or
- You are active military with an adjusted gross income of $64,000 or less.
Intuit’s TurboTax Freedom Edition
Free Federal and Free State Returns for:
- Accuracy & Simplicity: Download your W2 and transfer prior year TurboTax data
- All ages
- Anyone with an Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) of $33,000 or less
- Anyone eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
- Active duty military up to $64,000 AGI