Massachusetts and Federal Gross Income Exclude:
- Compensation, Injury and Sickness Benefits
- Employee (Fringe) Benefits
- Other Items Specifically Excluded
- Tax Relief for Victims of Terrorist Attacks
Massachusetts Gross Income Excludes Certain Income that is Included in Federal Gross Income:
- IRA/Keogh/Pension and Profit Sharing distributions that represent contributions previously taxed by Massachusetts;
- interest income from certain U.S. and Massachusetts obligations;
- pension income from employee Massachusetts and U.S. Government contributory plans;
- pension income from U.S. military Non-Contributory Pension Plans;
- social security and Tier I Railroad Retirement benefits; and
- state tax refunds.
Massachusetts Gross Income =
- Form 1, line 10; plus
- Schedule B, Line 35 interest, dividends, and short-term capital gains; plus
- Schedule D, Line 19 long-term capital gains.
Filing Requirement is based on Massachusetts's gross income. Taxpayers must file a MA Form 1 if Massachusetts gross income is in excess of $8,000.
Massachusetts Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) Computation:
+ Form 1, line 10
+ Schedule B, Line 35
+ Schedule D, Line 19
– Schedule Y, Lines 1 - 10
– Schedule B adjustments
– Schedule D adjustments
No Tax Status (NTS) - Taxpayer fills out Massachusetts AGI Worksheet. NTS is based on Massachusetts adjusted gross income. Taxpayers who have a requirement to file may still qualify for this status depending on their Massachusetts adjusted gross income.
Limited Income Credit (LIC) - Taxpayer fills out Massachusetts AGI Worksheet and Line 28 Worksheet. LIC is based on Massachusetts adjusted gross income. Taxpayers who have a requirement to file but do not qualify for NTS may qualify for this credit depending on their Massachusetts adjusted gross income.
- Form 1, Lines 11 –14;
- Schedule Y, Lines 11 – 16;
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.