Protect Yourself: Common Questions
- What can I do to protect my personal information from identity thieves?
- Where can I obtain more information about identity theft?
- How can identity theft affect my tax account?
- What should I do if I think someone has filed a fraudulent return using my name or social security number?
- Why does the Department of Revenue need my social security number?
- Does the Department of Revenue have any procedures to protect my tax information from identity thieves?
DOR warns taxpayers to be aware of check overpayment scams involving fraudulent checks identified as Commonwealth of Massachusetts/Department of Revenue.
DOR warns individuals against certain search engine results for "Massachusetts tax forms" that may contain a malicious virus that will infect computers.
Nationally, tax fraud involving stolen identities is an increasing problem. Massachusetts is no exception.