Searching for names, addresses, email and other contact information:
You can search for officials by jurisdiction or search across all jurisdictions by functional role, position, or department.
- To search by jurisdiction -
- Click on the drop down lists in Quick Search in the left panel. Highlight the desired jurisdiction, click on the arrow button beside that selection, and wait for the system to return with a grid of departments and officials currently on file for that jurisdiction.
- Type in all or part of the jurisdiction's name in the Jurisdiction box under Basic Search and optionally limit the search by functional role, position, department, official's last name, or department head status. Click SEARCH.
- To search across all jurisdictions, leave Jurisdiction blank under Basic Search. Entering a partial name will search for all jurisdictions or last names with that begin with that text string. Note: Typing "Barnstable", for example, with no other qualifiers will result in officials from the Town of Barnstable, Barnstable County, and the Barnstable Fire District. Do not rely on Position to get a comprehensive list of all officials who perform a particular function. The persons who perform the function of day-to-day tax assessment work, for example, have dozens of different position titles. Even a position as simply named as "Mayor" might be entered differently - "City Mayor" for example. For certain key positions, Functional Role will provide the one person in each jurisdiction who performs that role. For a comprehensive list, consider instead selecting the relevant Department and optionally clicking on Show Department Heads Only. The system produces a grid of results.
- To search across multiple jurisdictions, for multiple functional roles, positions, names, or departments, use Advanced Search. Advanced Search accommodates almost any combination of search criteria, and also allows users to search for cities and towns within larger entities like counties or regional school districts.
After the search results appear in a grid, you can
- Export the results with additional standard contact information to a web page spreadsheet, easily saved as an Excel workbook; or
- Look at detailed screens for jurisdictions, departments, or position/persons in the grid.
Click on the Export List button to send the entire results data grid to a spreadsheet.
For detail screens, in the results grid, click on the link that corresponds to the level in the organization you are interested in, i.e. the jurisdiction, a specific department, or a specific position/person. A screen of detailed information results. After you select a detail screen, a directory tree for that community appears in the right panel. You can click on any line of that tree - community, department, position/person to navigate to a corresponding detail screen. You can also expand or contract the directory display by clicking on the +/- boxes.
How Accurate are the Data?
The Division of Local Services (DLS) uses these data for mass mailings and other contacts with local officials, but DLS relies on the assistance of city and town clerks and other local officials to either update the information themselves or advise DLS of changes.
At the department and position/person level, if blank, the system fills in address and phone number information from the next highest level. A general city information or central switchboard telephone number, therefore, might be on a department screen because a department number has not yet been entered.
Local Administrators can log in to add, update, and delete information. Enter Username and Password in the right panel of the initial screen or click Login on the extreme right of the screen to bring up that initial screen for logging in. Then click GO.
To update existing departments or positions/persons in your jurisdiction (you cannot alter information in any other jurisdiction), click on the relevant link in the results grid and make the changes. Click the Save button and wait for the confirmation message to appear.
To add a department, click on Add/Edit Department in the left panel. Select the desired department from the drop down list beside Department in the center panel. If the department does not already exist, you will get a message to that effect. Edit the departmental information as appropriate (basic fields will be pre-populated from the jurisdiction record.) Add any additional data, if desired, and then click Save. Wait for the confirmation message.
To add a person to the department, click on Add/Edit Person/Position in the left panel. NOTE: A person cannot be added to the community without being in a department. If the department does not yet exist in the database, it must be added before the person can be added. Type in the position name. Add any additional data, if desired, and then click Save. Wait for the confirmation message.
Disclose Personal Info: The default setting is "No". Clicking "Yes" will make all personal address, phone number, and email data available to the public Internet. Only an authorized local administrator can set Disclose to "Yes". Such disclosure might be appropriate for Finance Committee members who do not have town hall addresses or City Council members who already publish their addresses and phone numbers on their cities' web sites, as examples. City/town clerks can avoid any possibility of disclosure of public safety personal addresses by simply not entering them into the database.
If data are grayed out, you do not have permission to add/update/delete data in that jurisdiction or department.
If you have permission to access and use the Security module, you will have a Security tab on the menu bar. Clicking on the Security tab will bring up the User Maintenance screen. Click on Search User in the left panel to show users in your community with existing accounts. Click on the User Maintenance link in the left panel to create an account for an official in the Local Officials Directory who does not have a username & password. NOTE: You must add the person to a jurisdiction and a department and a position before you can give them an account.
Detailed instructions are available in the Security module. Click help after clicking the Security tab.