Special Acts. Links are provided to selected Special Acts enacted by the General Court that create or revise charters and that enable cities and towns to act in other ways to reorganize municipal government. Excel file with a list of special acts .
General Laws. Listed below are available Home Rule options to adopt or amend a municipal charter, and to act relative to specific municipal offices.
- Combining Treasurer and Collector's Offices (see Special Acts Excel file above)
- DLS Presentation to MMA, plus handouts: Elected to Appointed
- Appointed or Elected? DLS Analyzes the Status of Collectors Chart of Elected or Appointed Officials .
- Converting Offices from Elected-to-Appointed Offices - MGL, Chapter 41, section 1b
- Establishing a Municipal Finance Department - MGL, Chapter 43C
- Authorize Selectmen to Appoint a Town Administrator - MGL, Chapter 41, section 23A
- Authorize Selectmen to Appoint Assessors - MGL, Chapter 41, section 25
- Authorize Selectmen to Act as, or Appoint, Other Town Officers - MGL, Chapter 41, section 21
Other General Laws. Listed below are enacted general laws that address subjects of specific interest to cities, towns and districts.
- Real Estate Tax Notices - Chapter 74 of the Acts of 2007
- Pension Fund Investment - Chapter 68 of the Acts of 2007
- Health Care Benefits - Chapter 67 of the Acts of 2007
- OPEB Liability Trust Fund - Chapter 479 of the Acts of 2008
Charter Assistance. Whether a community seeks to restructure local government through the adoption of a new charter or revision of an existing charter, TA staff can help distinguish between Special Act or Charter Commission process. We can provide guidance on the underlying goals of a charter and its role in relation to ordinances and by-laws. We can speak to areas of government that should be addressed and are uniquely positioned to review drafts and ensure consistency with sound financial management practices.
TA staff have provided assistance to local officials or met with government study committees in the following communities:
Westport Littleton Hamilton Westwood Wrentham Hopkinton Haverhill Kingston Orange Plainville Groton Medway Ayer Pepperell Fairhaven
The links below provide more information on charters:
MGL Chapter 43B - Adopt, Revise and Amend City and Town Charters
To request assistance, contact Rick Kingsley, Bureau Chief, Municipal Data Management and Technical Assistance Bureau at email@example.com.