Group and School Age Child Care Licensing Policy Statement
Number: P-GCC/SA-16

Child care licensing regulations require that staff submit evidence of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella. In accordance with recommendations from the Department of Public Health, the following criteria apply:

  • Child care staff born in the United States before 1957 are considered immune to measles, mumps and rubella and do not need documentation other than date and place of birth.
  • Child care staff born outside the United States before 1957 must submit documentation of 1 dose of MMR, or laboratory test results confirming immunity to measles, mumps and rubella.
  • Child care staff born in or after 1957 (regardless of birth place) must submit documentation of 2 doses of MMR vaccine (or 2 doses of a measles-containing vaccine and 1 dose each of mumps and rubella vaccines), or laboratory test results confirming immunity to measles, mumps and rubella.

All susceptible adults should be vaccinated against measles, mumps and rubella, unless there are specific medical contraindications. Women of childbearing age, in particular, should be vaccinated. However, pregnancy should be avoided for 3 months following receipt of the MMR vaccine. If staff are unsure of their immune status, re-vaccination for MMR will not harm those who have previously had the disease, or who are already immune to one of more components of the vaccine. Alternatively, laboratory tests can confirm immune status.


Child care staff may be exempt from documenting immunity if they provide documentation signed by a physician stating a medical exemption. Pregnant women, for example, should not be vaccinated. Child care staff seeking an exemption based on religious beliefs must provide a signed statement indicating their opposition to immunization based on sincere religious beliefs.

Access to Documentation

Staff may be able to locate proof of immunity from one of the following sources:

  • schools attended, which are required to keep immunization and disease records for up to 5 years after a student graduates;
  • college health services, which maintain records for their students;
  • a personal physician, who is required to keep immunization records for a period of 10 years following the end of the calendar year in which the last documentation occurred.
  • a hospital or clinic, which is required to keep medical records for at least 30 years after the last patient visit;
  • an obstetrician, for any woman who has given birth (rubella);
  • a physician counseling a woman on the risks of rubella infection at the time of application for a marriage license.

Access to Immunization

Child care staff may call their Regional Immunization Nurse or the Massachusetts Immunization Program at (617) 983-6800 for the most current information about vaccine availability.

Information provided by the Department of Early Education and Care . Created: March 1, 2006; Last reviewed: January 10, 2008