MA QRIS Revisions Overview
EEC is in the process of revising the Massachusetts Quality Rating and Improvement (MA QRIS) standards. On June 13, 2017, EEC’s Board voted to send a revised draft of the standards forward for a 100 day period of public comment. EEC needs your input through November 2017 to help revise the MA QRIS standards.
Please keep in mind that much of the detail, including how EEC will verify applications, will be developed after the standards, criteria, and indicators are finalized. These 100 days are intended to finalize the standards that best serve our children and families.
As the next generation of MA QRIS develops, EEC will be working on interim changes to the current MA QRIS to fix some areas that the validation study found to be particularly burdensome for programs. Please visit this webpage often to stay updated on these changes.
Please click here to watch an interactive presentation called “Quality Rating and Improvement System (QRIS) Revisions Overview” to learn more about the MA QRIS standards revisions process: https://360.articulate.com/review/content/e3bea3cd-b63c-4262-b8db-e9e25ffa56b8/review.
Please click on the link below to take an online survey to provide your feedback on the proposed changes to the MA QRIS. Staff who work with more than one program type can take the survey multiple times. The Family Child Care version of the survey will soon be available Spanish.
Ways to Provide Your Comments
EEC will be hosting a series of in-person public meetings across the Commonwealth during these 100 days. You may offer comment on any of the four MA QRIS program types (family child care, community center-based, public school preschool, afterschool/out-of-school time) at all of these meetings. You do not need to RSVP to attend. You can access the schedule for these meetings by opening up the document below. You do not need to register to attend a public meeting, and you may attend any public meeting statewide.
In the coming weeks, you will find a link on this webpage to an online survey to solicit your feedback on the proposed changes to the MA QRIS. Staff who work with more than one program type can take the survey multiple times. The family child care version of the survey will be available in English and Spanish.
MA QRIS Revisions Webinar
Finally, you may offer your feedback about MA QRIS revisions via a webinar on Friday, October 20, 2017, at 12:30pm. During the webinar, EEC will provide a broad overview of the standards revision process, share EEC’s guiding principles for the revisions, and explain the changes from the current standards to the draft revised standards. EEC will take questions live. You may register online to participate in the webinar.
Resources to Inform You about Proposed Changes to MA QRIS
Many of these resources will be available in Spanish. EEC encourages you to visit this website often as we add content to support you during these 100 days.
- Draft of Revised Standards
- QRIS At a Glance This is a guiding document that explains MA QRIS’s history, the goals of the revisions, and a brief summary of proposed changes.
- Evidence-Based Rationale. These documents provide the research basis that supports the MA QRIS standards, criteria, and indicators.
Things to Keep in Mind during the MA QRIS Revision Process
As the MA QRIS develops, EEC encourages you to:
- Stay engaged in continuous quality improvement, rather waiting for the revisions to take effect. (Please note that your program’s current MA QRIS rating will be maintained once QRIS revisions are implemented.)
- Reach out to the Program Quality Unit staff with any questions about the QRIS. You can find your Program Quality Specialist (PQS) on EEC’s website.
- Keep in mind that the MA QRIS will continue to evolve over time. EEC expects to refine and revise the MA QRIS to reflect best practices and current research in the field of early childhood education on a periodic basis.
- Understand that MA QRIS revisions will be supported by updated information technology (IT) applications, such as a user-friendly QRIS Program Manager. EEC will not launch a new system without the IT to support it.
If you have any questions about the MA QRIS Revisions process, or would like to give general feedback to EEC about the revisions, please contact Amy Whitehead-Pleaux, Program Quality Supervisor, at email@example.com.