On August 18, 2017, Acting Commissioner Jeff Wulfson pursuant to M.G.L. c. 69, § 1J(w) and 603 CMR 2.00, determined that the Paul A. Dever Elementary School in Boston will remain in chronically underperforming status (Level 5), and the turnaround plan will be renewed for three years.
- Dever Renewed Turnaround Plan
- Dever Renewed Turnaround Plan, Spanish version
- Dever Renewed Turnaround Plan Letter
- Dever Renewed Turnaround Plan Letter, Spanish version
On June 30, 2017, the superintendent of the Boston Public Schools, Dr. Tommy Chang, assumed responsibility for the implementation of the turnaround plan for the Paul A. Dever Elementary School.
- Commissioner Chester's Letter to Blueprint Schools Network
- Commissioner Chester's Letter to Dr. Tommy Chang
On June 7, 2016, the Commissioner approved an amendment to the turnaround plan.
On January 21, 2015, the Commissioner approved revisions to the compensation section of Appendix A of the turnaround plan.
On June 9, 2014, the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education heard the appeal made by the Boston Teachers Union (BTU) regarding the Dever Turnaround Plan. The Board did not accept any of the BTU's proposed modifications. Below is the Dever Elementary School Final Level 5 Turnaround Plan.
On May 14, 2014, the Boston Teachers Union (BTU) filed an appeal regarding the Dever final Level 5 turnaround plan. On June 4, 2014, Commissioner Chester issued a memo to the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (BESE), responding to that appeal. The Board will consider the appeal at its meeting on June 9, 2014.
- BTU Level 5 Appeal
- ESE Memo to the Board from Legal Office (With Exhibits)
- Commissioner Chester’s Memo to BESE
On April 24, 2014, Commissioner Chester issued his final Level 5 Turnaround Plan for Dever Elementary School. Commissioner Chester has also issued a memo identifying which proposed modifications were incorporated into the final plan.
The statute (MGL Chapter 69, Section 1J) affords the Superintendent, school committee, and Local Stakeholder Group the opportunity to propose modifications to the preliminary Dever turnaround plan. The following modifications were proposed by April 7, 2014.
- Letter Submitted by Superintendent McDonough
- Modifications proposed by the Dever Local Stakeholder Group
On March 7, 2014, Commissioner Chester released the preliminary Level 5 turnaround plan for Dever Elementary School.
- Dever Elementary School: Preliminary Level 5 turnaround plan March 7, 2014
- Dever Elementary School: Appendix B Preliminary MAGs March 7, 2014
On January 29, 2014, Commissioner Chester announced that Blueprint Schools Network would serve as receiver and turnaround operator for Dever Elementary School. More information about Blueprint Schools Network can be found on their website: Blueprint Schools Network
Additional documents related to Dever's level 5 status: