On August 18, 2017, Acting Commissioner Jeff Wulfson pursuant to M.G.L. c. 69, § 1J(w) and 603 CMR 2.00, determined that the UP Academy Holland in Boston will remain in chronically underperforming status (Level 5), and the turnaround plan will be renewed for three years.
- Holland Renewed Turnaround Plan
- Holland Renewed Turnaround Plan, Spanish version
- Holland Renewed Turnaround Plan Letter
- Holland Renewed Turnaround Plan Letter, Spanish version
On June 14, 2016, the Commissioner approved a modification and an amendment to the turnaround plan.
- Holland Modification to the Turnaround Plan
- Holland Amendment to the Turnaround Plan
- Commissioner Chester’s Letter to UP Education Network
On January 21, 2015, the Commissioner approved revisions to the compensation section of Appendix A of the turnaround plan.
On June 9, 2014, the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education heard the appeal made by the Boston Teachers Union (BTU) regarding the Holland Turnaround Plan. The Board did not accept any of the BTU's proposed modifications. Below is the Holland Elementary School Final Level 5 Turnaround Plan.
On May 14, 2014, the Boston Teachers Union (BTU) filed an appeal regarding the Holland final Level 5 turnaround plan. On May 30, 2014, Commissioner Chester issued a memo to the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (BESE), responding to that appeal. The Board will consider the appeal at its meeting on June 9, 2014.
- BTU Level 5 Appeal
- ESE Memo to the Board from Legal Office (Corrected Version)
- Commissioner Chester’s Memo to BESE
On April 18, 2014, Commissioner Chester issued his final Level 5 Turnaround Plan for the Holland Elementary School.
The statute (MGL Chapter 69, Section 1J) affords the Superintendent, school committee, and Local Stakeholder Group the opportunity to propose modifications to the preliminary Holland turnaround plan. No modifications were proposed to the Holland plan.
- Letter Submitted by Superintendent McDonough
- No modifications were proposed by the Boston School Committee.
- No modifications were proposed by the Holland Local Stakeholder Group.
On March 7, 2014, Commissioner Chester released the preliminary Level 5 turnaround plan for Holland Elementary School.
- Holland Elementary School: Preliminary Level 5 Turnaround Plan March 7, 2014
- Holland Elementary School: Appendix B Preliminary MAGs March 7, 2014
On January 29, 2014, Commissioner Chester announced that UP Education Network will serve as receiver and turnaround operator for Holland Elementary School. More information about UP Education Network can be found on their website.
Additional documents related to Holland's level 5 status:
- Holland Elementary School Local Stakeholder Group Recommendations
- Holland Supporting Documents file size 12MB
In addition to the documents attached here, the Local Stakeholder Group provided overview information about Lesley University's Literacy Collaborative.