The Agricultural Food Safety Improvement Program (AFSIP) supports agricultural produce operations that are looking to upgrade their food safety practices. Practices that help the operation to maintain or to increase their market access while reducing food safety risks. Participants selected to participate in the program will be reimbursed up to $25,000 or 75% of their total project costs.
AFSIP will fund practices that help minimize the risk of microbial contamination and food-borne illnesses. In addition, eligible upgrades will increase competitive market access by meeting buyer demands for demonstrated practices that work towards protecting public health and food safety.
Some examples of projects include wildlife fencing, packing shed walls, ceilings and light fixtures, field harvest systems, hand washing sinks, portable restrooms, drainage systems, and water systems.
Eligibility and Applying
To be eligible for funding the applicant must be in good standing with the Department and other local and state regulatory agencies. Additional consideration will be offered to applicants who are participants in the Commonwealth Quality Program (CQP), and/or are currently audited under a Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) certifier. There is no minimum size requirement; however, projects that address significant food safety concerns are more likely to receive funding.
The application period for AFSIP is closed. We hope to release the next round of applications in late winter of 2018.
Grants and Funding Programs
- Agricultural Energy Grant Program (Ag-Energy)
- Agricultural Environmental Enhancement Program (AEEP)
- Agricultural Food Safety Improvement Program (AFSIP)
- APR Improvement Program (AIP)
- Farm Energy Discount Program
- Farm Viability Enhancement Program (FVEP)
- Massachusetts Emergency Food Assistance Program (MEFAP)
- Massachusetts Farm Energy Program (MFEP)
- Massachusetts Food Ventures Program (MFVP)
- Matching Enterprise Grants for Agriculture Program (MEGA)
- Rollover Protective Structure (ROPS) Retrofit Program
- Stewardship Assistance and Restoration on APRs (SARA)
- Urban Agriculture Program