The cultivation of marine and freshwater organisms is a very diverse segment of the Massachusetts agriculture industry. The Commonwealth’s aquaculture industry produces aquatic species for food, education, ornamental, bait and sport fishing activities, including 6 species of shellfish and 10 species of finfish that are cultured experimentally and commercially.
The Aquaculture Specialist's Office at the Department of Agricultural Resources provides a variety of services aimed at the promotion and development of Massachusetts aquaculture. The Aquaculture Program, located within the Division of Agricultural Conservation and Technical Assistance, fosters development of the Massachusetts Aquaculture Industry through efforts aimed at implementation of the Commonwealth’s Aquaculture Strategic Plan.
Follow this link for a copy of the Aquaculture Operation Description Form
- Division of Agricultural Conservation and Technical Assistance
- Massachusetts Aquaculture White Paper and Strategic Plan
- Aquaculture Industry
- Permit Assistance / Regulatory Streamlining
- Technical Assistance & Information Resources
- Aquaculture Education
- Shellfish Aquaculture Best Management Practices (BMPs) file size 1MB
- BMPs for finfish growers
- Aquaculture Operation Description Form
- Aquaculture Permit Guidance Document