The Massachusetts Food Ventures Program (MFVP) is designed to advance the objectives of the Massachusetts Local Food Action Plan by providing funding through grants to support food ventures, primarily in communities of low or moderate income, including Gateway Cities and rural communities. Participants who are selected to participate in the program will be reimbursed up to $500,000, and the minimum award is $100,000.
MFVP investments will include: food processing infrastructure to meet the needs of the growing local food system; improved distribution systems to support opportunities for equitable access to fresh local food; and innovative retail outlet strategies that enhance access to healthy food.
Eligibility and Applying
To be eligible for funding the applicant must be in good standing with the Department and other local and state regulatory agencies. Municipalities, Massachusetts based Commercial or Non-profit Organizations, as well as State agencies are eligible to apply.
Examples of eligible proposals include, but are not limited to; food processing facilities, community kitchens, food truck commissaries, greenhouses, farmers markets, and infrastructure for community supported agricultural businesses. Proposals must also describe how the completed project will align with or work towards the MA Local Food Action Plan goals and recommendations.
The application period for MFVP is now closed. Applications for the next round of funding should become available early spring 2017. For more information, please contact Rose.Arruda@state.ma.us
Grants and Funding Programs
- Agricultural Energy Grant Program (Ag-Energy)
- Agricultural Environmental Enhancement Program (AEEP)
- Agricultural Food Safety Improvement Program (AFSIP)
- APR Improvement Program (AIP)
- Farm Energy Discount Program
- Farm Viability Enhancement Program (FVEP)
- Massachusetts Emergency Food Assistance Program (MEFAP)
- Massachusetts Farm Energy Program (MFEP)
- Massachusetts Food Ventures Program (MFVP)
- Matching Enterprise Grants for Agriculture Program (MEGA)
- Rollover Protective Structure (ROPS) Retrofit Program
- Stewardship Assistance and Restoration on APRs (SARA)
- Urban Agriculture Program