MFEP is a full-service technical and financial assistance program helping over 500 agricultural producers across all agricultural sectors since 2008. Over 200 projects have been installed on MA farms helping to improve the viability of agricultural businesses across the state.
Started as a pilot collaboration in 2007 between USDA NRCS, Berkshire Pioneer Resource Conservation Development Area and MDAR, today the program is totally managed and primarily funded by MDAR, though still engaging a private sector organization to assist MDAR in administrating the program. Currently, the Center for EcoTechnology, Northampton, MA, is our Program Administrator.
Energy efficiency improvements installed at farms ranged from energy efficient evaporators for maple producers, to variable frequency drive motors for dairies, to thermal blankets and high efficiency heating systems for greenhouses.
MFEP also helps farms secure targeted audits or access public utility assessments that outline recommendations, payback periods, and fulfill funding requirements, providing essential information for farm business decision-making.
MFEP staff also provides one-on-one mentoring to several farms preparing to submit projects for MDAR’s Agricultural Energy Grant Program, USDA’s Rural Development Renewable Energy for America Program (REAP) and the NRCS EQIP Grant Program. Staff also presented information to farms at a variety of conferences and workshops.
Please visit http://massfarmenergy.com and become part of the Massachusetts Farm Energy Program.
Grants and Funding Programs
- Agricultural Energy Grant Program (Ag-Energy)
- Agricultural Environmental Enhancement Program (AEEP)
- Agricultural Food Safety Improvement Program (AFSIP)
- APR Improvement Program (AIP)
- Farm Energy Discount Program
- Farm Viability Enhancement Program (FVEP)
- Massachusetts Emergency Food Assistance Program (MEFAP)
- Massachusetts Farm Energy Program (MFEP)
- Massachusetts Food Ventures Program (MFVP)
- Matching Enterprise Grants for Agriculture Program (MEGA)
- Rollover Protective Structure (ROPS) Retrofit Program
- Stewardship Assistance and Restoration on APRs (SARA)
- Urban Agriculture Program