The Department invites responses from Massachusetts farmers who own or operate farm land under the Agricultural Preservation Restriction (“APR”) Program who wish to participate in Round 4 of the Stewardship Assistance and Restoration on APRs Program (“Program”) in Fiscal Year 2018. The purpose of the Program is to address stewardship and restoration issues on farmland resources in order to maximize productive agricultural use of the protected resource.
Funding of up to $25,000, with a 15% match, may be available on a cost reimbursement basis for identified improvements that will help restore or enhance the protected land resources on an APR farm property.
The Program provides funding to pay for approved expenses directly associated with restoration of agricultural land on an APR farm that is inactive through no fault of the current owners/responder(s). Eligible uses of funds include contracted labor or equipment rental costs to clear land or reclaim inactive fields back to active cropland use such as: removing rocks or stumps, cutting back grown in field edges, or reseeding or applying soil or crop amendments to inactive cropland or pastureland to bring it back into production. Funding may be also be used to restore farm resources that have been negatively impacted by flooding, erosion, storms, tornadoes and other natural disasters.
Applications are due in the MDAR Amherst office by May 31, 2017. Applicants that are selected to participate in the program must wait until a contract is signed to begin work and all projects must be completed by June 30, 2018.
Grants and Funding Programs
- Agricultural Energy Grant Program (Ag-Energy)
- Agricultural Environmental Enhancement Program (AEEP)
- Agricultural Food Safety Improvement Program (AFSIP)
- APR Improvement Program (AIP)
- Farm Energy Discount Program
- Farm Viability Enhancement Program (FVEP)
- Massachusetts Emergency Food Assistance Program (MEFAP)
- Massachusetts Farm Energy Program (MFEP)
- Massachusetts Food Ventures Program (MFVP)
- Matching Enterprise Grants for Agriculture Program (MEGA)
- Rollover Protective Structure (ROPS) Retrofit Program
- Stewardship Assistance and Restoration on APRs (SARA)
- Urban Agriculture Program