A permit is required to house, propagate and release gamebirds (also known as upland gamebirds) within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. These permits are issued by the Massachusetts Department of Fish and Game. For a complete list of gamebird species that require permits visit the MA Department of Fish and Game. .

Gamebirds can be infected with salmonella pullorum-typhoid disease. Therefore, the Bureau of Animal Health requires that all gamebirds meet the same testing requirements as poultry.