Image of Gel Bait

In order to be able to distribute, purchase or use a pesticide in Massachusetts, the product is subject to a Federal and State registration process. The pesticide product must first be registered with the United States Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA).

As per the Massachusetts Pesticide Control Act (M.G.L. c 132B), once a pesticide has gone through the U.S. EPA registration process, it must also be registered by the Massachusetts Pesticide Board Subcommittee prior to use in Massachusetts. To be considered for registration, a complete registration application must be submitted to the Department’s Pesticide Program. The registration application must include the Department approved application form, the final product labeling as attached to the product and the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS).

Staff within the Pesticide Program review every pesticide product registration application for compliance with Federal and State laws and regulations. As per state laws and regulations, certain pesticide product registration applications may be pulled for special review by the Department’s technical staff. After the Department processes the application, it is submitted to the Massachusetts Pesticide Board Subcommittee for their consideration.

Like those in many states, the Massachusetts pesticide laws are more restrictive than those of the U.S. EPA. The State may impose additional restrictions on pesticide product registrations for product use in Massachusetts. Such additional restrictions may include reclassification from general use to State Restricted Use. Such reclassification is routinely done for subsurface termiticides and other products; such as, those containing chemicals on the Department’s Groundwater Protection List.

The Pesticide Program fees associated with exam registration, licensing, license renewals, product registration and product registration renewals changed effective February 1, 2010

The Current Massachusetts Pesticide Product Registration Fees are as follows:

  • New Pesticide Product Registration: $300
  • New Active Ingredient / Product Registration: $750
  • Pesticide Product Renewal Registration: $300
  • Pesticide Product Renewal Late Fee: $100
  • Total Fee for Late Renewal: $400 ($300 + $100)

Pesticide product registrations expire at the end of the State’s fiscal year (FY); which, runs from the first of July to the thirtieth of June in the following calendar year. For example the State FY 2016 will end on June 30, 2016 and State FY 2017 will begin on 07/01/2016 and end on 06/30/2017.

The State FY 2017 Pesticide Product Renewal Forms and Directions were sent to Registrants in early May of 2016 and are due by 06/30/2016.  Please contact, call or send email, to the Product Registration Specialist if you did NOT receive a State FY 2017 Renewal form and Letter. All product registrations that are not renewed by 06/30/2016 are subject to a $100 late fee per each different EPA Registration number; consequently, all State FY 2017 RENEWALS (not new registrations) that are NOT renewed by 06/30/2016 are subject to $300 Renewal Fee + $100 Late Fee = $400 Fee per different U.S. EPA Registration Number.  Please see the above outlined pesticide product registration fees for more information.

Please contact, call or send email, the Product Registration Specialist noted on this page if you did NOT receive a State FY 2017 Renewal form and Letter.

As outline in the Directions of the Renewal Cover Letter pdf format of Renewal Cover Letter
, completed pesticide product renewal forms must be sent to the lockbox address below. Do NOT submit them to the Department address above. Please allow sufficient time for the delivery of renewal applications through the U.S.P.S. and courier services.

Lockbox Address

Via U.S. Mail:
Commonwealth of Mass 
P.O. Box 417103
Boston, Ma 02241-417103

Via Overnight Mail/Courier Service:
Bank of America Lockbox Services
Commonwealth of Mass - Lockbox 417103
2 Morrissey BLVD
Dorchester, MA 02125

Links to the various Massachusetts pesticide product registration forms and State Restricted Use Products list are located in the right hand margin of this page. Please contact the Department’s Product Registration Specialist at the top of the page should you have any questions or need such information provided in an alternate format.