The Massachusetts Office of Coastal Zone Management (CZM) is the lead policy and planning agency on coastal and ocean issues within the Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA). A team of multi-disciplinary professionals working in a range of program areas implements CZM's mission—to balance the impact of human activities with the protection of coastal and marine resources through planning, public involvement, education, research, and sound resource management. CZM receives annual federal grant funds from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) as authorized by the Coastal Zone Management Act. As a networked program with a strong regional and local role, CZM emphasizes coordination, collaboration, and partnerships to address coastal issues.
- CZM Regions and Coastal Communities - Descriptions and a map of the coastal zone boundary, CZM’s five regions, a listing of the 78 coastal communities they serve, and information on assistance provided to other communities.
- CZM Policy Guide - The official program policies of the Massachusetts coastal program, along with information on the federal Coastal Zone Management Act, the history and operation of the Massachusetts coastal program, federal consistency review, and the application of coastal policy in other state regulatory programs.
- Federal Consistency and Regulations - An overview of the federal consistency review process (which gives CZM jurisdiction to review federal projects affecting the Massachusetts coast to ensure they meet state policies); links to other CZM regulatory programs (i.e., the Massachusetts Ocean Management Plan, Municipal Harbor Plans, Designated Port Areas, and Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act); and links to CZM implementing regulations, the official coastal zone boundary, the CZM Policy Guide, descriptions of major Massachusetts environmental permits, and the major regulatory decisions and notices published by CZM.
- CZM History - A brief summary of CZM’s evolution since the passage of the federal Coastal Zone Management Act in 1972.
- Technical Assistance - A description of the assistance available to help local officials, businesses, coastal homeowners, and others make the best possible choices about coastal issues.
- Jobs & Grants - A listing of job openings, grant opportunities, and Requests for Responses posted by CZM, along with links to other job and grant resources.
- Coastal Calendar - A listing of CZM events and public hearings, along with links to other coastal calendar postings.
- Links - Links to state, federal, and international government agencies, other organizations focusing on coastal and marine issues, and more.
- What's New - Descriptions of new material on the CZM website.
- CZM Year in Review - Links to annual publications highlighting CZM’s major accomplishments.
- Contact CZM - Information on contacting CZM by mail, phone, fax, and email, along with details on how to get on CZM mailing lists.
- Directions - Directions to the CZM office in Boston and the four regional offices.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.