COASTSWEEP—organized by the Massachusetts Office of Coastal Zone Management (CZM)—brings thousands of volunteers to the Massachusetts shoreline to participate in the state's annual coastal cleanup. Volunteers not only help to make the Massachusetts shoreline cleaner and safer, they also record information about the types and amounts of trash, fishing line, and other marine debris collected at each site. This information is sent to the Ocean Conservancy's International Coastal Cleanup program where the data are analyzed and used to develop programs aimed at reducing marine debris worldwide.
COASTSWEEP would not be possible without the support of our generous sponsors.
The following are recent press items and publications on COASTSWEEP (in reverse date order).
- Harwich Coastsweep Recap - CapeCodToday.com, 10/1/13.
- State kicks off annual COASTSWEEP volunteer beach cleanup efforts - SouthCoastTODAY.com, 9/25/13.
- COASTSWEEP 2013 - NorthShoreKid.com, 9/16/13.
- Seeking Local Beach Cleanup Coordinators for COASTSWEEP 2015 - Claudia Geib, COASTSWEEP Intern, 7/16/15
- COASTSWEEP: An Intern’s First Cleanup - Steven Pilis, COASTSWEEP Intern, 11/10/14.
- A Day in the Life: Altering the Average Day to Reduce Ocean Litter - Steven Pilis, COASTSWEEP Intern, August 2014.
- A Last Gasp of Summer–Perfect For A COASTSWEEP Cleanup At Constitution Beach - EEA Mass Great Outdoors Blog, 10/16/13.
- COASTSWEEP: Protecting Marine Life One Piece of Trash at a Time - EEA Mass Great Outdoors Blog, 9/30/13.
- Successful Beach Cleanup at Scusset Beach State Reservation - NECWA News Blog, 9/21/13.
- Family Stewardship on Plum Island: Coastsweep 2013 - Outdoors, By Cracky!, 9/16/13.
- How You Can Help Keep Massachusetts’s Coastline Beautiful - EEA Mass Great Outdoors Blog, 8/22/13.
- Think Coastal, Act Global blog post - EEA Mass Great Outdoors Blog, 10/25/12.
- COASTSWEEP Podcast Interview with CZM's Robin Lacey - WUMB Commonwealth Journal, 9/16/12.