COASTSWEEP—organized by the Massachusetts Office of Coastal Zone Management (CZM)—brings thousands of volunteers to the Massachusetts shoreline to participate in the state's annual coastal cleanup. Volunteers not only help to make the Massachusetts shoreline cleaner and safer, they also record information about the types and amounts of trash, fishing line, and other marine debris collected at each site. This information is sent to the Ocean Conservancy's International Coastal Cleanup program where the data are analyzed and used to develop programs aimed at reducing marine debris worldwide.
COASTSWEEP would not be possible without the support of our generous sponsors.
The following are recent press items on COASTSWEEP (in reverse date order).
- Patrick Administration Kicks Off the 26th Annual COASTSWEEP Beach Cleanup - Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA) press release, 9/4/13.
- Harwich Coastsweep Recap - CapeCodToday.com, 10/1/13.
- Volunteers needed for Coastsweep cleanups - Gloucester Times, 9/26/13.
- State kicks off annual COASTSWEEP volunteer beach cleanup efforts - SouthCoastTODAY.com, 9/25/13.
- COASTSWEEP 2013 - NorthShoreKid.com, 9/16/13.
- COASTSWEEP coming to Harwich - Harwich Oracle, 9/16/13.
- CoastSweep volunteers pick up trash, debris on beaches - Metro-Boston, 9/4/13.
- Coastsweep cleanup for Plum Island set for Sept. 14 - NewburyportNews.com, 9/3/13.
- A Last Gasp of Summer–Perfect For A COASTSWEEP Cleanup At Constitution Beach - EEA Mass Great Outdoors Blog, 10/16/13.
- COASTSWEEP: Protecting Marine Life One Piece of Trash at a Time - EEA Mass Great Outdoors Blog, 9/30/13.
- Successful Beach Cleanup at Scusset Beach State Reservation - NECWA News Blog, 9/21/13.
- Family Stewardship on Plum Island: Coastsweep 2013 - Outdoors, By Cracky!, 9/16/13.
- How You Can Help Keep Massachusetts’s Coastline Beautiful - EEA Mass Great Outdoors Blog, 8/22/13.
- Think Coastal, Act Global blog post - EEA Mass Great Outdoors Blog, 10/25/12.
- COASTSWEEP Podcast Interview with CZM's Robin Lacey - WUMB Commonwealth Journal, 9/16/12..