Did you ever wonder how to best keep contaminants out of coastal waters when maintaining your boat? How about how to properly plant beach grass? Or how to find the best places to see a Piping Plover or enjoy the shore during the winter? This information and more can be found in CZ-Tips—web pages produced by the Massachusetts Office of Coastal Zone Management (CZM) to help people get to, protect, and enjoy the Commonwealth's coast. Below is a list of tips organized alphabetically by topic. If you'd like to receive links to these tips every month, please sign up for CZ-Mail (the CZM electronic newsletter) by sending a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CZ-Tip - 10 Ways to Enjoy and Protect Massachusetts Beaches - From keeping off the dunes to watching out for rip currents, this CZM tip talks about how to stay safe and have fun at the beaches of the Bay State.
- CZ-Tip - Boating Basics/No Discharge of Boat Sewage - This tip gives specific guidelines for the proper handling of vessel sewage in Massachusetts, along with links to additional information.
- CZ-Tip - Simple Steps to Clean Boating in Massachusetts - This page gives specific steps for handling fuel and oil, sewage and graywater, boat cleaning and maintenance, boating in sensitive areas, and marine debris.
- CZ-Tip - Boat Winterizing—Keep It Green - Learn how to properly prepare boats for winter storage in an environmentally sensitive manner with this tip.
- CZ-Tip - Coastal Reading List 101 - This page highlights books to read, give, or download that all have one thing in common—the ocean is a main character.
- CZ-Tip: Be a Coast-Conscious Kid! - This tip helps children of all ages learn everyday actions that positively impact the coast, including ways to keep waters clean, protect animals and their habitats, and more.
- CZ-Tip - Break Up Spring Break with Coastal Activities for Kids - From parks to museums to some fun and educational websites, see this CZ-Tip for kid-friendly coastal destinations.
- CZ-Tip - Cures for Cabin Fever/Coastal Edition - Get back to the coast during the worst winter doldrums with this tip.
- CZ-Tip - Explore the Coastal Outdoors - This tip includes information on finding public access sites in each coastal region of Massachusetts, along with details on coastal hiking, camping, fishing, boating, and more.
- CZ-Tip - Explore Maritime Massachusetts on an Autumn Night - From haunted happenings to camping aboard a battleship, see this CZ-Tip for coastal follies, frivolity, fright, and fishing activities for fall nights.
- CZ-Tip - Get to the Shore! - This page focuses on coastal access in the Commonwealth, including public rights and responsibilities, public access sites, and environmental protection issues.
- CZ-Tip - Birdwatching on the Coast - Discover the threatened and endangered birds that visit the Massachusetts coast, how to protect them, and the best places to go to spot the most birdlife along the shore.
- CZ-Tip - Sharing Coastal Waters with Sea Turtles - This tip covers the sea turtles that frequent Massachusetts ocean waters and what you can do to protect them.
- CZ-Tip - Massachusetts's Most Intriguing Marine Creatures - From the ugliest to the most dramatic, check out this page for some weird and wonderful sea creatures right here in Massachusetts.
COASTSWEEP Coastal Cleanup
- CZ-Tip - 25 Years of Sweeping the Shores of Marine Debris - This page celebrates the 25th anniversary of CZM’s COASTSWEEP beach cleanups with a list of 25 ways to find out about and do more to prevent trash and other marine debris from littering the coastline.
- CZ-Tip - Help Clean Up Massachusetts Shores at COASTSWEEP - This tip describes CZM's COASTSWEEP beach cleanup and how to get involved.
- CZ-Tip - Get Healthy and Go Loco for Local Seafood - Ounce for ounce, seafood is the reigning champion of lean animal protein, and this CZ-Tip gives links to healthy seafood recipe ideas.
- CZ-Tip - Recipes from Coastal New England - From clam chowder to cod cakes, see this page for quintessential recipes for coastal-inspired fare.
- CZ-Tip - Get Your Home Squeaky Green-Clean! - This CZM tip discusses how to make—and buy—products that effectively clean your house and boat while minimizing impacts to coastal water quality and the rest of the environment.
- CZ-Tip - Learn to Spot, and Deal with, the Aliens in Our Midst - This tip discusses simple steps to reduce the spread of invasive species.
- CZ-Tip - Internship/Job-Search Resources: Get into the Blue - Get the inside scoop on finding coastally oriented high school or college internships, fellowships, and jobs with this tip from CZM.
- CZ-Tip - There's a Map for That on Massachusetts Ocean Resource Information System - This CZ-Tip introduces this user-friendly mapping tool complete with more than 600 layers of coastal data.
- CZ-Tip - Tips on How to Use the Massachusetts Ocean Resource Information System or MORIS - For shortcuts on customizing maps and finding data layers, see these tips from CZM on maximizing CZM’s online mapping tool.
- CZ-Tip - Firsts and Fun Facts from Coastal Massachusetts - From the site of the first fried clams to the preferred homeland of the spadefoot toad, learn about Bay State coastal trivia with this CZM web page.
- CZ-Tip - Bring Your Dog to the Beach the Coast-Friendly Way - This CZ-Tip explains the impacts that dogs can have on coastal water quality and steps you can take to "leave only paw prints."
- CZ-Tip - Coastal Plant Identification: Common Native and Invasive Species Found on the Massachusetts Coast - See descriptions and photographs of some of the more common coastal plants in Massachusetts in this tip.
- CZ-Tip - Dune Building with Beachgrass - This web page describes how to plant American beachgrass, which helps stabilize dunes and prevent storm damage.
- CZ-Tip - Fall Planting on the Coast - Fall is an ideal time to plant because rainfall is usually plentiful and temperatures (and heat stress) are lower. This tip from CZM discusses what to plant and how to plant it for a thriving coastal landscape.
- CZ-Tip - The Fall and Winter Coastal Garden—Colors and Textures of Transition - This tip talks about how to add character to coastal gardens—particularly in fall and winter months—by planting trees, shrubs, perennials, and grasses with beautiful color, texture, form, and movement.
- CZ-Tip - Keep Waterways Clean by Filtering Pollutants with Plants - Learn how to strategically plant grasses and shrubs to slow and filter rain runoff—helping to keep coastal waters clean.
- CZ-Tip - Spring Planting on the Coast - This page focuses on native species that are ideal for coastal landscapes, with tips on how to maximize the early growing season offered by the relatively warm ocean air each spring.
- CZ-Tip - Uncovering Maritime History at the Shore - Learn about the importance of underwater archeological finds, who is responsible for protecting them, and how to safeguard these potential treasures.
- CZ-Tip - The Complete Guide to Online Hurricane Tracking for Massachusetts - Find links to important resources for tracking hurricanes and predicting and assessing their potential impacts in this tip from CZM.
- CZ-Tip - Tracking Northeasters and Staying Safe in the Storm - This web page provides links to information on winter weather forecasts and includes links to information on the dangers of these storms and how to stay safe.
Tales of the Coast
- CZ-Tip - Delve into the Mysteries of Maritime Massachusetts - This CZ-Tip talks about seven strange and spooky sea stories that took place on and off the coast of the Bay State.
- CZ-Tip - Save Water - This page gives water-saving approaches and explains how saving water in your home and yard can keep coastal waters clean.