The Massachusetts Ocean Management Task Force released final reports and recommendations in March 2004. The recommendations focused on strengthening state agencies to address environmental, planning, and public trust issues in both state and federal waters; establishing an ecosystem-based protocol to improve management of federal waters; and initiating ocean education and stewardship initiatives. This initiative formed the foundation for current efforts to develop the Massachusetts Ocean Plan.
Links to the Task Force's Waves of Change report and recommendations and the accompanying Massachusetts Ocean Management Task Force Technical Report are provided below. Also available are public comments on the Task Force reports and recommendations. For more information, see the Massachusetts Ocean Management Initiative website.
The Waves of Change Report and Recommendations
Waves of Change: The Massachusetts Ocean Management Task Force Report and Recommendations includes an introduction, detailed descriptions of key ocean management themes (governance, management tools, scientific understanding, and public outreach), the Task Force's six guiding ocean management principles, and its 16 recommendations with justifications and notes on implementation.
- Waves of Change: The Massachusetts Ocean Management Task Force Report and Recommendations file size 2MB - Full Report and Recommendations
- Cover Page, Task Force Members, Table of Contents, and Acknowledgements, Letter from the Task Force Chair, Executive Summary, Summary of Recommendations, Introduction, and Map of Ocean Jurisdiction file size 1MB
- Principles of Ocean Resource Management
- Conclusion, Appendix (Table of Contents for the Task Force Technical Report), and Working Groups of the Ocean Management Task Force
The Massachusetts Ocean Management Task Force Technical Report is a compendium of separate ocean resource briefings prepared for the Task Force and includes chapters on the Massachusetts public trust doctrine, a descriptive overview of traditional and emerging ocean uses, an overview of data trends and needs, a summary of state and federal regulatory authorities relating to ocean resources, and other information.
- Full Technical Report file size 2MB
- Cover Page, Task Force Members, Table of Contents, Acknowledgements, and Introduction
- Trends in the Demographics of Human Population and the Massachusetts Marine Economy
- Characterization of Ocean Uses
- Summary of Alterations by Human Activity and Cumulative Impacts
- Oceanography, Weather Patterns, and Climate Change
- Living Marine Resources
- Estuarine and Marine Habitat
- Sediment and Water Quality
- The Ocean as a Public Trust Resource
- Appendix (Glossary of Terms)