Forest Legacy Logo

 

The Forest Legacy Program provides federal grant funding to protect environmentally important forestland from conversion to non-forest uses.  The program is entirely voluntary.  Landowners who wish to protect their land with the program may sell the property in fee simple, or if they wish to retain ownership of the property, sell a conservation restriction.  This legally binding agreement prohibits certain uses such as development, but allows the property to be managed for forestry, recreation, and other conservation values.

In Massachusetts, the Forest Legacy Program is managed by the Department of Conservation and Recreation in cooperation with the US Forest Service.  Since joining the program in 1993, Massachusetts FLP has protected more than 16,000 acres of forest land on more than 100 properties.  View a map of our completed projects pdf format of Map of Completed Projects
.

Project applications are accepted annually in September.  A project must fall within one of the identified Forest Legacy Areas on the map below.  The Forest Legacy Program may fund up to 75% of project costs including acquisition, appraisal, title, survey and other costs.  The remaining 25% of project costs must be non-federal funds.  This can be value donated by the landowner, other non-federal grant funding, or non-federal government funding.  Application instructions can be found below in the Forest Legacy RFP.

flp map

Forest Legacy Information System (FLIS)

Massachusetts Forest Legacy Shapefiles