FLB Member Vacancy Announcement
The Department of Conservation and Recreation is accepting applications and nominations for a member vacancy of the Forester Licensing Board. A representative of an environmental organization, a land trust, or a consumer group will be needed. The position will be for a three-year term and serves on a volunteer basis. Forester Licensing Board meetings are held bi-monthly in the Amherst area (Area is negotiable with the selected candidate). Board members may also be required to investigate license complaints on a volunteer basis. Possession of a Forester’s License is not required to apply/fill this vacancy. additional information
- MA Licensed Foresters Directory
- MA License Confirmation List (February 2014)
- Forester Licensing Regulations 302 CMR 14:00
- Forester Licensing Policies (effective April 20, 2007)
- New Forester License Application (effective November 17, 2014)
- Renewal Forester License Application (effective February 1, 2012)
14.03: Forester Licensing Board
(1) Composition. The Director of State Parks and Recreation shall appoint as his or her agent a five member Forester Licensing Board (hereinafter referred to as the "FLB") for the purposes of assisting and advising him or her in the administration of M.G.L. c. 132, §§ 47 through 50 and 302 CMR 14.00. One member shall be an employee of a federal, state, or a municipal government agency; one member shall be a licensed forester employed in the private sector; one member shall be employed as a faculty member of a college or university in a forest resources or natural resources management program; one member shall be a landowner of classified forest land; and, one member shall be a representative of an environmental organization, a land trust, or a consumer group. Four of the members shall have the qualifications necessary to obtain a license to practice forestry in Massachusetts as defined in, 302 CMR 14.00, two of whom shall be Licensed Foresters.
(2) Terms. At the time the FLB is initially appointed, the Director of State Parks and Recreation shall appoint two members for one-year terms, two members for two-year terms, and one member for a three-year term. Subsequent appointments shall be for three-year terms. No member shall be appointed for more than two consecutive full terms.
(3) Responsibilities. The FLB shall assist and advise the Director of State Parks and Recreation by performing the following responsibilities:
(a) examining the credentials of all first time applicants to become a Licensed Forester, and recommending to the Director the names of those deemed by the FLB to be qualified or not qualified for such license;
(b) reviewing, upon the request of the Director, the credentials of individuals applying for renewal of a license to practice forestry in the Commonwealth, and recommending to the Director the names of all those deemed by the FLB to be eligible or ineligible;
(c) assisting and advising the Director in implementing disciplinary and investigatory proceedings as described in 302 CMR 14.05; and,
(d) maintaining a written record of any deliberations and decisions reached at each meeting.
(4) Meetings. The FLB shall meet at least once a year, or as often as necessary to comply with the 90-day application processing requirement in 302 CMR 14.04. The Director shall call the first meeting of the FLB. The last order of business at each meeting shall be to set the time and place of the next meeting, subject to the approval of the Director. A meeting shall be convened at the request of any three members. The Director shall appoint one of its members to serve as chair. Three members shall constitute a quorum.
Current members of the FLB include:
David B. Kittredge: Chair (faculty member of a college or university in a forest resources or natural resources management program). Professor and Extension Forester, UMass-Amherst. MLF #127
Michael Barry: (licensed forester employed in the private sector). Private consulting forester. MLF #11
Russell Wilmot: Secretary (employee of a federal, state, or a municipal government agency). Management Forester, Forestry, Department of Conservation and Recreation. MLF#426
Bruce Spencer: (landowner of classified forest land) MLF #228
For more information on the FLB, contact:
Department of Conservation and Recreation
Massachusetts Forester Licensing Board Secretary
180 Beaman St.
West Boylston, MA 01583
Phone: 508-792-7806 x318