There are 3.2 million acres of privately owned forest land in Massachusetts and 310,000 acres of State Forests and Parks. Municipal watershed lands cover 245,000 acres and there are 351 municipalities with associated urban trees and forests. The Bureau serves all of these owners and the forest they care for through the programs listed below. If you have questions or simply care about the forests of Massachusetts this is a good place to start.
FLB Member Vacancy Announcement
The Department of Conservation and Recreation is accepting applications and nominations for a member vacancy of the Forester Licensing Board. A representative of an environmental organization, a land trust, or a consumer group will be needed. The position will be for a three-year term and serves on a volunteer basis. Forester Licensing Board meetings are held bi-monthly in the Amherst area (Area is negotiable with the selected candidate). Board members may also be required to investigate license complaints on a volunteer basis. Possession of a Forester’s License is not required to apply/fill this vacancy. additional information
- DCR in cooperation with MA Forest Alliance, Bay State Forestry Service, and the USFS will host a conference for Municipalities, Land Trusts, natural Resource Professional, and Community Groups on September 28, 2013 in Fitchburg. Registration and conference agenda details will be made available in late June 2013.
- Town Forests: Past and Present Celebrating 100 Years of Town Forests
Tree Steward Training: Strengthening Branches in Your Community Forest
Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) and the Future of Ash in Berkshire County
- A free seminar for the public and Ash Resource Managers in Berkshire County, Wednesday, June 19th in Pittsfield.
- Emerald Ash Borer and the Future of Ash in Berkshire County
Preparing for Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) in Massachusetts
- April 18th at UMass Dartmouth or May 8th in Shelburne Falls
- Workshops for Foresters, Tree Professionals, and Landowners, and Students (free and open to the public) Pre-registration requested.
- Emerald Ash Borer Spring Workshops 2013
Proposed Forest Management Projects
Long Term Ecological Monitoring of Forest Reserves
- Chalet Forest Reserve file size 1MB
- East Branch Forest Reserve file size 1MB
- Middlefield/Peru Forest Reserve file size 2MB
- Mohawk/Monroe/Savoy Forest Reserve file size 2MB
- Mount Greylock Forest Reserve file size 2MB
- Mount Washington Forest Reserve file size 1MB
- Cunningham Pond Forest Reserve file size 3MB
Forest Certification Audit Report 2009 file size 1MB
Robinson SP: Updated May 16, 2008 Survey for Rare and Protected Species, Uncommon, & Priority Natural Communities file size 2MB
- Appendix C: Plant and Natural Community Survey Report file size 1MB
- Appendix D: Herpetological Survey Report file size 2MB
- Appendix E: Odonate Survey Report
Understanding Forest Land Valuation for CH 61/61A
- Forest Land Valuation for Landowners and Foresters
- Municipalities Forest Land Valuation for Ch 61/61A
Draft Massachusetts Emergency Response Plan for Highly Destructive Invasive Species