The Utilization and Marketing Program assists in developing and evaluating business opportunities in every phase of wood product manufacture and recycling. Potential beneficiaries include: landowners, timber harvesters, sawmills, foresters, kiln operators, wood treaters, and wood products fabricators. Recent project examples include: timber bridges, biomass energy facilities, directories of wood producers.
MA Sustainable Forest Bioenergy Initiative
The Division of Energy Resources , in partnership with the Department of Conservation and Recreation, has identified biomass as a renewable energy resource with tremendous potential in Massachusetts due to the state's 3 million acres of underutilized forestland and other large sources of wood. This broad initiative will facilitate the development of biomass energy projects and fuel supply infrastructure in the Commonwealth.
- Forest Harvesting Systems for Biomass Production file size 6MB (updated Feb '08)
- Woody Biomass Supply Resource Assessment Reports:
- Economic Impact of Biomass Energy in Massachusetts (corrected)
- Biomass Energy Crop - Massachusetts Potential
- Forest Biomass Harvesting - Silviculture and Ecological Considerations file size 1MB
- Advanced Biopower - Technology Assessment
- Woody Biomass Energy Brochure file size 1MB
- Quabbin Success Story
Please contact us with any questions or comments:
Wood Utilization Forester
Phone: (413) 253-1798 x207