The Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) is in the midst of undertaking a $25 million dollar renourishment and restoration project at Winthrop Beach. As anyone who watches TV news weather reports knows, during major storms, Winthrop Beach is routinely subject to overtopping of the seawall and major flooding of Winthrop Shore Drive and surrounding roads and properties. DCR’s much-needed shore protection project is designed to better fortify Winthrop Beach against the full force of northeast storms and natural beach erosion. The nourishment will also result in an expanded beach area for recreational use.
The project is broken into four phases of work. The first two phases of the project – groin repairs and nourishing the southern end of the beach – were completed in 2013. Phase 3 of the project, about to get underway, involves trucking in sand from a borrow site in Rumney Marsh in Saugus to nourish the northern end of the beach. The fourth phase of the project will include improvements to Winthrop Shore Drive.
The Winthrop Beach Renourishment Project compliments a separate project by expanding a planned salt marsh restoration at DCR’s Rumney Marsh Reservation in Saugus. The subsequent project for Rumney Marsh is currently in design and received a funding boost by its connection to the Winthrop project. The Ballard Street Marsh Restoration will be undergoing a public review process with a public meeting this spring. Work should commence by the summer of 2015.
Two Week Look Ahead
July 27, 2015 – August 7, 2015
The following activities will be occurring over the next two weeks.
Final Excavation for Salt Marsh mitigation sites
Crest Avenue Parking Lot
- Crest Avenue parking lot expansion and improvements
- Mobilization in Winthrop and Saugus
- Revetment work at Pearl Avenue
- Groin repairs at Winthrop Beach
- Beginning of sand extraction in Saugus and placement at Winthrop Beach
- Construction of Terminal Groin at Winthrop Beach
- Continued extraction of sand in Saugus and placement at Winthrop Beach
- Construction of footbridge and Ballard Street parking lot improvements in Saugus
- Repair of Hawthorn Avenue Ramp in Winthrop
- Restoration of Cutler Street entrance at Winthrop Beach
- Continued excavation of sand in Saugus and placement at Winthrop Beach
- Creation of berm pathway in Saugus
- Drainage improvements and beach amenities at Pearl Avenue
- Landscape and playground work at Crest Avenue
- Restoration of Pearl Avenue Wall
DCR will continue to post information and updated schedules on this project web page.
Questions or concerns about the project should be directed to DCR Resident Engineer Steve Colometo, at the DCR trailer behind the DCR bathhouse on Winthrop Shore Drive, by visit or phone (617-539-4957) during regular business hours, Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. In case of an emergency, contact 911 or DCR’s 24/7 emergency hotline at the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency at 508-820-1428.
Join us on Twitter @MassDCR - Visit http://mass.gov/dcr