DCR issues short-term and long-term permits for a variety of activities at DCR parks, beaches, forests, and reservations. Permits are issued for purposes ranging from one-day walkathons, to seasonal construction access to five-year commercial agreements.  Some permits are awarded through a competitive bidding process, and others are available upon request.  Each type of permit is administered by a different division of DCR, and the fees, seasonal schedule, and turnaround times vary.

Types of Permits Issued by DCR

Recreation and Stewardship Permits

  • To find out about Off-Road Vehicle permits, booking a Group Picnic site or pavilion, or other events or programs at your local DCR park, ask a park staff member or contact DCR .
  • To reserve an Athletic Field at a DCR park in Greater Boston, use the Athletic Field Scheduling Request pdf format of Athletic Field Scheduling Request
  • To book a Golf Course Outing or get more information on DCR’s two public golf courses, including season tickets and green fees, visit Public Golf Courses .
  • The success of DCR depends on the participation of individuals in enhancing and protecting our state parks. To find out more about volunteer and stewardship opportunities visit the Get Involved page.

Special Use Permits

See Special Use Permits for more information.

Commercial Activity Permits

  • Any commercial activity on DCR parkland requires advance permission.
  • Seasonal businesses at DCR parks, beaches, and pools, including boat rentals, food and beverage concessions, vending, parking, ski and golf operations, etc. are permitted for up to five years, usually through a competitive Request for Proposals (RFP) process.
  • Other permitted activities include: agricultural cultivation, including haying;  high-ground telecommunications installations; historical tours; fitness “bootcamps;” bicycle, pedicab, or Segway tours; professional dog-walking; surfing, yoga, or other sports lessons.
  • To find out what RFP bids DCR is currently seeking, or to propose a new idea for a concession, service, or activity at a DCR park, see Concession Permit .

Construction and Vehicular Access Permits

  • A Construction Access Permit is required for utility companies, municipalities, or other agencies to access DCR parklands for construction, equipment installation and maintenance, etc. There is a $50 application fee. Construction Access Permit pdf format of Construction Access Permit Application
  • All commercial vehicles, including delivery trucks and moving vans, require a permit to use DCR parkways – including Soldiers Field Road, Park Drive, Memorial Drive, VFW Parkway, Nantasket Avenue, and the like. Download a short term or annual permit application.
    Short Term Roadway Permit  pdf format of Short Term Roadway Permit
      Annual Roadway Permit  pdf format of Annual Roadway Permit

Research Permits

  • DCR’s Bureau of Planning, Design & Resource Protection issues research permits to educational institutions and others who propose appropriate studies on DCR properties. A research proposal, progress reports, a site visit, indemnification of DCR, and applicable insurance coverage may be required.
  • A research project may also require review, approval, or permitting from other local and state agencies, such as: Massachusetts Division of Fisheries & Wildlife; Massachusetts Historical Commission; or the local Conservation Commission, depending on the location and scope of the project.
  • DCR reviews applications on a rolling basis; please note that applications must be received at least 30 days in advance. See the Research Letter  pdf format of Research Letter
for the research program requirements. Complete and submit the Research Application  doc format of Research Application

Watershed & Reservoir Permits

The Division of Water Supply Protection’s Office of Watershed Management manages and protects the drinking water supply watersheds for more than 2.2 million residents of Massachusetts, including the Quabbin Reservoir, Ware River, Wachusett Reservoir, and Sudbury Reservoir.

In order to protect the reservoirs' water quality and the watersheds' other special natural and cultural resources, permits are required for a variety of activities, such as, group access, vehicular access, night access, seasonal parking, and hunting.

See Watershed & Reservoir Permits for more information and to download permit applications.


Any project that involves both Agency Action (defined as a Permit, a Land Transfer, or Financial Assistance from a state agency) and meets or exceeds certain categorical triggers could require a filing with the Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act (MEPA).  MEPA is administered by the Executive Office of Energy Environmental Affairs.  For more information on MEPA, please see Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act (MEPA) .