The Massachusetts park system is rich with history. Self-guided or Education, Interpretation & Visitor Services are available at selected parks.
|Borderland State Park||N. Easton|
|Boston Harbor Islands||Hingham|
|Dighton Rock State Park||Berkley|
|Fort Phoenix State Reservation||Fairhaven|
|Freetown-Fall River State Forest||Assonet|
|Horseneck Beach State Reservation||Westport|
|Myles Standish Monument State Reservation||Duxbury|
|Nickerson State Park||Brewster|
|Pilgrim Memorial State Park (Plymouth Rock)||Plymouth|
|Scusset Beach State Reservation||Sandwich|
|Schooner Ernestina||New Bedford|
|Shawme-Crowell State Forest||Sandwich|
|Great Brook Farm State Park||Carlisle|
|Halibut Point State Park||Rockport|
|Lawrence Heritage State Park||Lawrence|
|Lynn Heritage State Park||Lynn|
|Maudslay State Park||Newburyport|
|Walden Pond State Reservation||Concord|
|Blackstone River and Canal Heritage State Park||Uxbridge|
|Leominster State Forest||Westminster|
|Moore State Park||Paxton|
|Spencer State Forest||Spencer|
|Wachusett Mountain State Reservation||Princeton|
|Gardner Heritage State Park||Gardner|
|Lake Dennison Recreation Area||Winchendon|
|Wells State Park||Sturbridge|
|Holyoke Heritage State Park||Holyoke|
|Holyoke Range State Park||Amherst|
|Mt. Greylock State Reservation||Lanesborough|
|Natural Bridge State Park||North Adams|
|Pittsfield State Forest||Pittsfield|
|Skinner State Park||Hadley|
|Western Gateway Heritage State Park||North Adams|
|Roxbury Heritage State Park||Roxbury|
Historic Sites and Museums in Greater Boston
Boston - Fort Warren, Georges Island This military fort defended Boston Harbor in all U.S. wars through World War II and was used as a prison during the Civil War for Confederate military and civil personnel.
Boston - Fort Independence, Castle Island Continuous fortification since 1634. Present fort built between 1834 and 1851.
Hull - Fort Revere Telegraph Hill 617-727-5290 Originally called Fort Independence, this site is a pentagonal fortification with 22 cannons.
Milton - Trailside Museum Blue Hills Reservation, 1904 Canton Ave. 617-333-0690 Live animal exhibits and other displays depicting natural history of the Blue Hills area are featured.
Quincy - The Quincy Homestead 345 Butler Rd., corner of Hancock St. 617-472-5117. Historic homestead built in 1706 with furnishings of the 1822 period.
West Roxbury - Brook Farm Historic Site Baker Street, 1/3 mile west of VFW parkway. Open year-round, dawn to dusk 617- 698-1802. This National Historic Landmark is 179 acres of rolling fields
Observation Towers in Greater Boston
- East Boston - Belle Isle Marsh (tower - 16 feet)
- Views of the Marsh, Beachmont, Winthrop and the Boston skyline
- Milton - Eliot Tower (elevation - 620 feet) Blue Hills Reservation.
- Medford - Wright's Tower (elevation - 243 feet)
- Pine Hill, Middlesex Fells Reservation
- Excellent views of the Boston skyline, Harbor Islands, Mystic River Valley and the Middlesex Fells Reservation.
- Medford - Mystic River Reservation Tower (tower - 16 feet)
- Mystic Valley Pkwy. Views of the lower Mystic River Basin
- Milton - Chickatawbut Tower (elevation - 504) Blue Hills Reservation
- Stoneham - Bear Hill Tower (elevation - 317 feet), Middlesex Fells Reservation. Views north to Cape Ann, New Hampshire and west to Mt. Wachusett.
- Weston - Norumbega Tower (elevation - 110 feet) Charles River, Norumbega Rd.