If you enjoy camping and spending time outdoors, take pleasure in light work, and like meeting new people, the Volunteer Host Camping Program just might be the perfect opportunity for you.
As volunteers, Host Campers are provided a campsite free-of-charge during their service to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. In exchange, Host Campers provide support services not less than 20 hours per week, which will likely include some weekends and holidays. After a successful interview, dates of service and daily/weekly schedules will be arranged between the Host Camper and the Facility Supervisor.
Host Camper duties vary by campground, but, in general, work will include chores like raking campsites and clearing fire pits, cleaning bathrooms, staffing the recycle center, painting, and picking up trash, etc. You must be friendly, helpful, and physically able to perform the tasks assigned. Host Campers should be willing and able to assist campers and/or park staff outside regularly scheduled hours in an emergency.
- Host Campers must be at least 21 years of age.
- Due to conflict of interest laws, Host Campers and other persons staying on a host campsite may not be current employees of DCR.
- Host Campers and any person 17 or older who will be staying on the host campsite must agree to a Massachusetts Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check and investigation.
- Host Campers may not use the campground as their primary residence and must follow all DCR rules and regulations.
- Host Campers must provide at least 20 hours of service per week, which may include weekends and holidays.
- Camping fees will be waived during the Host Camper’s service. A Host campsite may or may not include hookups, depending upon the campground.
- Host Campers must provide their own camping equipment and maintain a clean and orderly campsite.
- During their term, Host Campers and all persons staying on the host campsite agree to set a good example for other campers by complying with all DCR rules and regulations. It is important to understand that alcohol is not permitted in any DCR facility.
Selection for Host Camper positions is based upon an approved CORI check, experience, skills, and the needs of the park. To request an application, or for additional information, please contact us at 617-626-1250 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest in the Host Camping Program!