Applications for the 2014 Season will be available soon for a lottery of sixty (60) public moorings available in the Charles River Basin between the First Street Landing and Poorman’s Landing. Candidates will be notified by phone within ten days after the lottery as to the status of their application. A fee will be charged to boat owners for the season. This fee must be paid as a money order or bank check made payable to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and is due when mooring is awarded and prior to the issuance of any permit.
The Following Requirements Will Be Strictly Enforced
- A copy of a valid and current Massachusetts boat registration for the boat to be moored on the Charles River must be submitted with the application or the application will be rejected; No Exceptions.
- The maximum boat length is 35 feet. Only the boat registered to the mooring will be allowed to use that mooring.
- Only pleasure boats will be permitted at this site. No commercial or boats for hire are allowed.
- The applicant must supply the mooring and all other necessary equipment at his or her own expense. Moorings must meet United States Coast Guard specifications and the inspection of the DCR Park Ranger Marine Unit.
- Each mooring must consist of a mushroom anchor with a chain capable of holding the boat in place under adverse weather conditions. Boat owners must provide an 18” to 20” fiberglass mooring ball on which a number can be permanently affixed. This mooring ball is to be used at all times.
- All moorings must be installed and removed at the owner’s expense no later than November 17, 2014 . Future mooring permits will be refused to any permit holder failing to remove moorings by this date.
- The DCR has made reasonable attempts to develop specifications believed to be proper. They are not a guarantee or assurance of a safe mooring. The ultimate responsibility and liability rests on the individual boat owner for damage sustained due to use, inclement weather and other factors beyond DCR’s control. The DCR will not be liable for property damage or personal injury or death sustained as a result of any incident resulting from the operation and use of this permit. Prior to permit issuance, permittee will be required to sign a waiver.
Applications for the 2014 moorings lottery will be available soon.