Ashland, Framingham, Hopkinton, Marlborough, Northborough, Southborough, and Westborough.
In 1878 a system of reservoirs was constructed to provide water supply by holding back the Sudbury river, to supplement the Lake Cochituate system in Natick. These new reservoirs were Sudbury, Whitehall, Hopkinton, Ashland, Stearns, Brackett, and Foss. In 1947 the Whitehall, Hopkinton, Ashland and Cochituate Reservoirs were turned into State Parks, and in 1976 the entire Sudbury System was officially reclassified as an emergency water supply. Today only the Sudbury Reservoir and Foss (Framingham Reservoir No. 3) are classified as a reserve drinking water supply. The DCR owns and manages 4,943 acres of land in the Sudbury Reservoir watershed system.
Click here for public access policy and rules
Click here for general rules and regulations
Sudbury Reservoir is located in east central Massachusetts, west of Framingham
From Boston: take Rte. 9 west, then Rte. 30 off Rte. 9; after crossing the reservoir, turn right on Framingham Rd., then right again on Acre Bridge Rd., parking is on the right.
Things to know before you go...
The primary purpose of DCR water and surrounding lands is drinking water supply. Public access, therefore, is carefully regulated and controlled to protect over 2 million people’s source of drinking water. State regulations require all entry and exit through gates or other designated areas only. Anything that could pollute the water supply system, such as litter or refuse of any sort, is prohibited. Please observe restrictions on recreational activities. Direct water contact activities, such as swimming and wading, are strictly prohibited by regulation. Dogs are not allowed on any DCR property associated with Sudbury Reservoir.