2 Avenue A.
Turners Falls, MA 01376
Canalside Rail Trail Map file size 1MB
Completed in the Spring of 2008, the Canalside Rail Trail is a 3.7 miles path from Turners Falls (a village of Montague) over the Connecticut River and into Deerfield.
The trail starts at Unity Park, on Barton's Cove in Turners Falls and continues behind the Great Falls Discovery Center and alongside the hydropower canal on the old rail bed, with the brick mill buildings on the opposite bank. The trail follows the old rail bed south and eventually crosses on the old trestle bridge over the Connecticut River.
Built in 1880, the Canalside Rail Trail Bridge is a former New York, New Haven, and Hartford Railroad rail bridge across the Connecticut River between Deerfield and Montague, Massachusetts and is on the Massachusetts Historic Bridge Inventory as a "Historic Metal Truss Bridge," currently the sixth oldest metal truss bridge on the state-wide historic registry. From the bridge, you can look upstream and see where the Deerfield River joins the Connecticut River.
The trail ends at the parking lot located off of McClelland Farm Road, by the Deerfield Rail Yard.
Along this rail trail, you will encounter trail users of all ages and abilities, including bicyclists, walkers, hikers, runners, inline skaters, wheelchair users, and baby carriages. For the safety and enjoyment of all, please adhere to the following:
- Be courteous of other path users.
- All users keep right, except to pass.
- Stop at all stop signs.
- The trail is open for recreation from dawn to dusk. (Commuters with appropriate lights may use the trail at their own risk)
- Pets on a short leash are welcome. Remove all waste.
- Give a clear audible signal before passing and pass only when it is safe to do so.
- Travel at a reasonable speed in a consistent and predictable manner.
- Wear protective headgear. This is required by law for children 16 years and younger, but recommended for all wheeled users.
- Respect private property adjacent to the trail.
- Carry in, carry out.
From points North and South
Take Interstate 91, take exit 27 onto Route 2 East.
From points West
Take Route 2 East past route 91 to the traffic lights in Gill.
From points East
Take Route 2 West to Gill.
At the Route 2 lights in Gill, go South toward Turners Falls and Deerfield over the river on Avenue A.
You have arrived!
Handicap accessible parking is immediately after the bridge on the right.
The main parking lot is just around the corner, take the next right to enter the lot.