Click on question to view the answer.
A. The is available to each club on the MassWildlife website and provides a standard curriculum for all participating clubs to follow. As long as you follow the guidelines, your club can add different events to the hunt. We encourage your club to go above and beyond our suggestions of including meals, raffles, scouting days, and dressing of game.
A. Any youth from the age of 12-14 who has passed a hunter education course and any youth from the age of 15-17 who has passed a hunter education course, has a valid Firearms Identification Card (FID), has purchased a hunting license, and has a turkey permit.
A. Any adult over the age of 18 who holds a current Massachusetts hunting license and has a turkey permit for the current year. Please encourage parents and relatives to participate.
A. Your club will need to appoint a minimum five person team to take on the coordination of this hunt.
- First team member will be the designated instructor during the pre-hunt workshop.
- Second team member will coordinate all of the mentors for the hunt and volunteers for the range use during the pre-hunt workshop.
- Third team member will coordinate all forms and participant sign in.
- Fourth team member, if your club is able, will coordinate a breakfast and/or end of hunt BBQ.
- Fifth team member will be coordinating the safe handling of firearms to and from the shooting range, and also in securing enough firearms for each participant to use if the participant does not own a shotgun.
Q. What paperwork is needed to participate?
A. The following legal forms (located in the appendix section of the youth turkey hunting guide and as separate files online) must be properly completed and returned to the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife in West Boylston. These forms may not be modified, must be originals and be completely filled out:
- Release and Waiver Form (requires notarization)
- Youth Registration Form
- Certification of Successful Training Completion
Q. What is the timeline for preparing for the youth turkey mentor hunt?
A. The timeline is as follows:
- Late February-Contact DFW in Westborough to notify us of your club's participation, also start to set up mentors for the hunt, send a completed Release and Waiver Form notarized for your club to MDFW Field Headquarters.
- March 31st-Youth Participant Registration Form , Parental/ Legal Guardian Consent Form , and Release and Indemnification Agreement need to be filled out for each participant and mailed to DFW Field Headquarter s
- Prior to Mid April-Pre-hunt workshop needs to be completed
- Mid April-Send in all Youth Turkey Hunting Training Program Certificates of Successful Completion to the DFW Field Headquarters.
- Saturday Prior to the Regular Spring Turkey Season -- Youth Turkey Hunt Day, have youth fill out after hunt and mail to DFW Field Headquarters .
Q. How do we obtain safety kits for each youth and what is included in the safety kit?
A. DFW and MA National Wild Turkey Federation will be donating all hunter safety kits. The safety kits will include;, ear plugs, eye protection, , and NWTF hunt safely stickers. Please fill out the request for and return to DFW. The safety kits can then be picked up at your closest DFW District Office.
A. All youths ages 12-17 must have completed a basic hunter education course and have, in their possession, a permit issued by the Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife to participate in the youth hunt. Youths aged 12-14 will be provided with two spring tags, which are valid for the date of the youth hunt and the regular spring turkey season. Youths aged 15-17 must possess a hunting or sporting license and a standard Massachusetts turkey hunting permit in addition to a “Youth Turkey Completion Certificate” on their Turkey permit.
A. Mentors can take the youth participants any places open to hunting. Mentors must follow local bylaws, and all state hunting regulations. Please consider taking the youths to one of your favorite turkey hunting spots.
A. Only one youth per adult. You may have more then one adult mentor for each youth.