Below is a list of all amphibians found in Massachusetts. Both common and scientific names are listed. The listing is updated as new information becomes available to MassWildlife. Fact sheets are available for certain species.
For the phylogenetic listing and distribution status of amphibians in Massachusetts, see the List of the Amphibians and Reptiles of Massachusetts.
Salamanders & Mud Puppies
- Mudpuppy (Necturus maculosus)
- Newt, Eastern (Notophthalmus viridescens)
- Salamander Blue spotted (Ambystoma laterale)
- Salamander, Eastern Red-backed (Plethodon cinereus)
- Salamander, Four toed (Hemidactylium scutatum)
- Salamander, Jefferson (Ambystoma jeffersonianum)
- Salamander, Marbled (Ambystoma opacum)
- Salamander, Northern Dusky (Desmognathus fuscus)
- Salamander, Northern Two lined (Eurycea bislineata)
- Salamander, Spotted (Ambystoma maculatum)
- Salamander, Spring (Gyrinophilus porphyriticus)
Frogs & Toads
- Bullfrog, American (Lithobates catesbeianus)
- Frog, Green (Lithobates clamitans)
- Frog, Wood (Lithobates sylvaticus)
- Frog, Leopard (Lithobates pipiens)
- Frog, Pickerel (Lithobates palustris)
- Peeper, Spring (Pseudacris crucifer)
- Spadefoot, Eastern (Scaphiopus holbrookii)
- Toad, American (Anaxyrus americanus)
- Toad, Fowler's (Anaxyrus fowleri)
- Treefrog, Gray (Hyla versicolor)
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.