Close to 500,000 hatchery grown brook, brown, rainbow and tiger trout will be stocked this spring from MassWildlife’s five hatcheries located in Sandwich, Palmer, Belchertown, Sunderland, and Montague. These fish, coupled with the more than 80,000 fish stocked last fall, will provide some excellent fishing in the coming months. Stocking is scheduled to begin in the southeastern area of the state during the first full week of March with other regions of the state expected to follow soon after. Anglers can get daily stocking updates at Mass.gov/Trout, or contact individual district offices for the latest stocking information.
2017 spring trout stocking stats:
- Most of the trout will be over 12 inches
- Nearly half of the trout will be over 14 inches
- More than 1,400 brown trout will be over 18 inches
- More than 600 brook trout will be over 15 inches
- More than 2000 tiger trout will be over 14 inches