It is lawful to hunt birds and mammals in Massachusetts with a rifle of any caliber and with a magazine capacity of any size, except:
1. The hunting of deer with a rifle is prohibited except for the use of shotguns and primitive firearms (muzzleloaders) with a rifled bore.
2. The hunting of wild turkey with a rifle is prohibited.
3. The hunting of migratory game birds with a rifle is prohibited.
4. The hunting of gray squirrel with a rifle is prohibited in wildlife management zones 10 through 14.
5. The only rifles lawful for hunting black bear are those chambered .23 caliber and larger; or muzzle-loading rifles .44 to .775 caliber, fired from the shoulder, using a single projectile.
6. On Wildlife Management Areas stocked with pheasant or quail, during the pheasant and quail seasons, rifles of any caliber are prohibited, except for the use of rifles chambered not larger than .22 long rifle ammunition for the hunting of raccoon and opossum between the hours of 9:00 P.M. to 3:00 A.M.
7. During the period from ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise, the use or possession of any rifle chambered to take larger than .22 long rifle ammunition is prohibited.
8. Refer to the summary of the requirements relative to primitive ("muzzle-loading") firearms for more information relative to hunting with those implements.
9. NOTE: some cities or towns (e.g. Amherst) may have ordinances or bylaws prohibiting the discharge of rifles (but allowing the discharge of shotguns).
10. Check the firearms statutes pursuant to M.G.L. c. 140 and c. 269 for laws affecting the possession, carrying, and use of "large capacity" rifles and feeding devices.
This is not the complete law and is subject to change. Refer to provisions of M.G.L. c. 131, §§ 4, 67 and 70, and to several provision of the Code of Massachusetts Regulations, 321 CMR.
Regulations as of 10-05-07.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.