Here is where information on commonly asked questions regarding wildlife laws and regulations such as possession of captive/exotic wildlife, why moving wildlife is harmful and against the law, wildlife damage and external links to other agencies dealing with related environmental laws. Laws relating to fishing, hunting and trapping, environmental review and the Mass. Endangered Species Act are found in the links on the left Navigation bar.
- Wildlife Management Areas - For hunters, there are some differences on hunting hours, blaze orange and hunting implement requirements in these locations. For other outdoor users, note restrictions on other types of activities on these properties.
- - Answers questions about what wildlife permits are needed for certain kinds of captive/exotic wildlife and who is eligible for those permits.
- Animal Damage - Explains the law regarding landowner options when damage is caused by wildlife.
- Hunting License Purchase Requirements - Contains frequently asked questions about obtaining a hunting license in Massachusetts.
- Landowner Liability - Any landowner permitting use of his or her property for recreation without charging a fee is not liable for injuries to recreational users or their property except in cases of willful, wanton or reckless conduct by the owner. (M.G.L. Ch. 21,S 17C.) This is an external link to the actual statute language.
- Saltwater & Shellfish Laws - External link to the Division of Marine Fisheries.
- Boating, ATV, and Snowmobile Laws - External link to the Office of Law Enforcement (Environmental Police). The Environmental Police are a separate agency that enforces fish, wildlife, boating, marine fisheries and other environmental laws.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.