MassWildlife owns over 100 Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) and 13 wildlife sanctuaries with care and control of over 160,000 acres of lands and waters. All WMAs are open to hunting, fishing, trapping and other outdoor recreation activities. Sanctuaries are more restrictive: ie, camping, hunting, fishing and trapping is prohibited. Sanctuary booklets are available only from the Field Headquarters in West Boylston .
- No person shall possess any alcoholic beverage except under permit or dump or discard any can, bottle or rubbish.
- No person shall remove vegetation, soil or stones from any WMA except under permit.
- No person shall use excessive speed in driving a vehicle.
- No person, unless under permit, shall drive or possess any vehicle except on roads or trails maintained for public traffic.
- No person shall deface or tamper with any sign, building or equipment.
- No person shall build or maintain a fire without written permission from the Director of the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife (DFW) or his designee.
- No person shall camp within any WMA without written permission from the Director of the DFW or his designee.
- No person shall engage in target practicing without written permission from the Director of the DFW or his designee.
- No person shall use any means other than shotgun or bow and arrow during the pheasant and quail season on areas stocked with pheasant or quail except for hunting raccoons between 9PM and 3AM.
- No person shall hunt on any WMA where pheasant or quail are stocked before sunrise or after sunset during the open season on pheasant or quail, except for the hunting of raccoons between 9PM and 3AM.
- No person shall hunt during the pheasant or quail season on wildlife management areas where pheasant or quail are stocked without wearing a "hunter orange" cap or hat except while night hunting for raccoons or while hunting from a blind or boat.
- No person, except under permit, shall dig or disturb any artifact or archaeological remains.
The Director may make special regulations to handle special situations peculiar to any WMA. Controlled hunts are in effect at certain times on Burns, Delaney (Northeast District) and Ludlow (Valley District) WMAs. Contact the appropriate District Supervisor for details.