As of November 25, 2016, there is a new web link for the Vernal Pool & Rare Species Reporting System. Please use the links below to access the system and remember to update any bookmarks you may have saved!
The system provides:
- a method to submit rare species observation reports and vernal pool certification forms to NHESP electronically.
- the ability to bulk upload data from a spreadsheet
- a more efficient method for NHESP staff to review and process submitted data
- a direct communication method between data submitters and NHESP staff
- more "real-time" updates to the publicly available Certified Vernal Pool data and town rare species lists
- a mobile application
New VPRS Users
NOTE: Once your account is created you can immediately begin submitting observations. The signature form (item #3 below) is needed, however, for the NHESP to review those observations.
First-time users will need to follow the steps below:
- Download Adobe Flash Player (FREE) version 10 or 11 (11.9.900.117 recommended)
- Register for an account hosted by the Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EOEEA)
- Once you have an account fill out, sign and return the Vernal Pool & Rare Species (VPRS) Reporting System Observer Information and Certification form. This will establish the electronic signature for all of your observations submitted through the VPRS system.
The VPRS also offers a Mobile Application for registered users. The app allows users to capture select key data on-site for generating animal, plant or vernal pool observation reports. The app has been designed to work with the Android operating system. Please see the VPRS Mobile App Tutorial file size 2MB for information on how to use it.
Getting Started with the Mobile App
- You must be a Registered VPRS user in order to create reports using the Mobile App.
- From your phone or tablet, click on this link to follow the instructions for downloading.
Please note the Mobile App requires that your mobile device be at least Android 3.1 ("Honeycomb") or greater.
VPRS Funding and Partners
The NHESP is very interested in hearing your feedback! Please send any comments using the “Send Feedback” button on your home page within the VPRS system. If you need additional assistance, please contact us at ContactVPRSAdmin@state.ma.us.
PLEASE NOTE: In making a NHESP Species Observation Form available for use by the public, the NHESP does not authorize or condone entry onto private property without the owner's knowledge and permission. The unlawful trespass onto private property may subject a trespasser to the criminal or civil sanctions available under the law. For these reasons, the NHESP strongly recommends that the permission of the landowner be obtained prior to entering private property to collect information for this form. It is the sole responsibility of each person collecting information for this form to ensure that their activities comply with the law.