Funded through an EPA grant, the Vernal Pool & Rare Species Information System, or the VPRS System, is an online mapping and data submittal application.
The system provides:
- a method to submit rare species observation reports and vernal pool certification forms to NHESP electronically.
- the ability to bulk upload data from a spreadsheet
- a more efficient method for NHESP staff to review and process submitted data
- a direct communication method between data submitters and NHESP staff
- more "real-time" updates to the publicly available Certified Vernal Pool data and town rare species lists
- a mobile application
New VPRS Users
NOTE: Once your account is created you can immediately begin submitting observations. The signature form (item #3 below) is needed, however, for the NHESP to review those observations.
First-time users will need to follow the steps below:
- Download Adobe Flash Player (FREE) version 10 or 11 (11.9.900.117 recommended)
- Register for an account hosted by the Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EOEEA)
- Once you have an account fill out, sign and mail the Vernal Pool & Rare Species (VPRS) Reporting System Observer Information and Certification form. This will establish the electronic signature for all of your observations submitted through the VPRS system.
The VPRS also offers a Mobile Application for registered users. The app allows users to capture select key data on-site for generating animal, plant or vernal pool observation reports. The app has been designed to work with the Android operating system. Please see the VPRS Mobile App Tutorial file size 2MB for information on how to use it.
Getting Started with the Mobile App
- You must be a Registered VPRS user in order to create reports using the Mobile App.
- From your phone or tablet, click on this link to follow the instructions for downloading.
Please note the Mobile App requires that your mobile device be at least Android 3.1 ("Honeycomb") or greater.
VPRS Funding and Partners
The Vernal Pool and Rare Species Information System was created using funds from the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) EPA Wetlands Program Development Grant . Additional funds were included from the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) in support of the Linking Landscapes for Massachusetts Wildlife. Staff and other resources were provided by the Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs Information Technology department (EEA-IT), the Department of Fish and Game (DFG), and MassGIS.
The NHESP is very interested in hearing your feedback! Please send any comments using the “Send Feedback” button on your home page within the VPRS system. If you need additional assistance, please contact us at ContactVPRSAdmin@state.ma.us.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.